Rough floor tiling

When I removed my bathroom carpet for tiling, I noticed a couple of pretty uneven areas in the concrete; especially around the toilet. There's no way I could lay the tiles as it is. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't have to re-cement the entire floor or anything like that do I?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

To paraphrase Slick Willie, "It all depends on what rough is." If you have areas that are below the level of the primary floor surface they need to be filled in. If they're not too deep and large this could be done by troweling in a bit of tile setting mortar and letting it set for a few hours, or over night. If they are large I'd do the same thing and then place a shear membrane over the surface. If the floor is proud of the primary floor elevation you will need to chip or grind off the high spots.

Above all else remember that the quality of your tile job is directly impacted by the quality of the substrate. You can't "fix" problems as you are laying tile. Prep work is important.

RB

D'Olier wrote:

Reply to
RB