Rough estimate

Page 2 of 2

I'm in the middle of a similar project myself. I started off not wanting to waste money on an engineer. Trust my competent GC instead. But then the planning officer queried a couple of elements of the design and I got the engineer out - holy cow, good job I did. Suffice it to say I am now having to rebuild the roof and top floor walls completely. Lucky the roof didn't land on my head when we had all that snow this winter.
$17k seems cheap to me. I'm in MN, and local trades are slow, willing to price their time pretty keenly. My project's about 40% bigger than yours, and I'm looking at around $33k for a comparable package (I've deducted windows and siding). Roughly half is labor. I also intend to do all the interior finishing, insulation myself (that'll still cost me a few grand, maybe 5). If you go into your local Menards or equivalent, they'll help you put a material list together. I normally underestimate waste removal ($360 for a 20 yard demo load here, and I will need 4-5), permit fees, equipment rental (including crane to lift the roof trusses) and consumables like nails, blades, etc. Wow, $17k definitely seems low to me. He's not building any contingency in there. Is he reliable/trustworthy? Do a service magic request and get at least 3 more quotes.
Good luck, and let us know how things proceed.
dpb wrote:

Am I right assuming that if the current ceiling/roof is trusses, then you would have to remove them first, which means you will have no ceiling, and a big mess of wiring to deal with?
I am now picturing a more engineered approach that would possibly make things a lot easier, but I'll wait to see how wrong I am here so far!

A place I pass on the way to work sells pre-fab homes. They have a couple of garages on display for $25,000 for a two car garage and attic. Given that price compared to yours, the $17,000 for a new roof sounds reasonable. The tear down and disposal is probably $3k of that.
LSMFT wrote:

Hell, if a new garage is that cheap, can they attach it to the house, delete the garage doors and ad some windows and doors? Then you can finish it as you like?
LSMFT wrote:

More involved and complex than building a garage(people don't dwell in it) Can't compare this project to a garage building.
LSMFT wrote the following:

There is a lot of labor tearing a roof off a house, besides the cost of removal and disposal of the debris. If you had to tear down an existing garage to build that new one, it too would cost a lot more than $6900. $17,000 would be cheap where I live.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Doesn't sound out of line. I'm just guessing that the contractor is probably planing manufactured roof trusses to deal with transfering the load to the exterior walls. Stick built would require figuring out how to support a new floor load above the existinf structure. He'll have to order those and they won't be cheap.
LSMFT wrote:

Can anyone comment on this pipedream? Would it be possible to first support the existing ceiling (if the interior walls don't support it), tear off the attic, then sister the new trusses to the existing ceiling joists? Would that be more or less work? Electrical wires could be a bitch.

You should read the rest of his posts. It sounds like it is feasable, at least from the information we have. The ceiling is 2x6's not 2x4's. It's a small house so the first floor rooms are going to be small. That means the spans are probably short. And the option of adding additional steel posts in the basement is involved as well. I think it's doable. As to the $17k, that doesn't shock me.
jamesgangnc wrote:

And if he has trusses built (or not) may be able to turn it 90degrees on top of the ceiling joists.

Yea, the manufactured truss solution would appeal to me as well. A local supplier would likely already have some engineered gambrel truss designs on hand for that span.