rotted porch

I have a New Orleans style porch which has rotten wood which I am removing. There are three sections. The ground level porch is all right and made from brick. The second level (the New Orleans porch) is made from wood. The third level consists of a wood overhang over the porch. The porch is made from wood, supported by several concrete pillars, and has metal pillars on the second floor. The real problem is that the wood is completely gone and the top level can drop about a foot. I put bricks between the concrete and metal pilars in the spacing where the wood was. The porch is 15 feet off the ground and about 10 x 40 feet. It covered with plywood and covered with a sheet of steel. How do I support the top half including the roof while I repair the middle section? Are there any diagrams or pictures which illustrate this? Can I just put up some supporting joists, or do I need to get something stronger? I suppose that this steel covering plates were bought in sections and welded together. Is this how it is done? Does anyone know of websites or repair videos on how to best do this? I am getting some estimates from contractors, but I really am short on money, as I have been out of work for a long time. I'd like to do this myself.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Need pictures...

Is the 15-ft the floor of the porch above ground or the roof height? If the porch floor is that high it could be a trick getting adequate support for the outer corners owing to the height would need a pretty stout column given the length. Hence, pictures, pictures, ...

--

Reply to
dpb

That was going to be my question.

Take some pictures, post them on a hosting site, and post the link back here.

RicodJour

I have to agree with the pictures, pictures, pictures request.

I will also caution you not to rely solely on any advice you receive here. Most of us try really hard to give sound advice but a picture and actually seeing it are two very different things.

Considering what we say in conjunction with your contractor bids will give you a better feel for the situation.

Reply to
Colbyt

Colby now says this...after the little 'incident' with his "what could it hurt to cut off that last stud?" advice! ;)

RicodJour

Rico you obviously have me confused with someone else. The only little stud I ever cut off was that gay boy trying to get into my panties. :)

Reply to
Colbyt