Rotozip: goodgawd...

Yep, he never hung drywall...

Go stick your head up your ass, it might work better that way....

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

FWIW to anyone reading this thread....

Buy the Porter Cable Drywall cutout tool....It's half the diameter of a Rotozip, way nicer to hold and use......

PV, don't bother.....I don't think you could figure out how to use it !!!!

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Greg Menke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@venus.pienet:

Or you could buy just the RZ bits and a $20 Harbor Freight trim router,and get 1/4" router bits to do whatever other jobs you have. IIRC,the HF trim router comes with 1/8" and 1/4" collets.

I've heard that drywall dust trashes the Dremel's bearings quickly.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Porter Cable I could figger out, cuz PC is there to serve a trade/industry, not fleece the goddamm public with a wannabe tool w/ 101 bitty parts floating around in a 1,824 cu in case. PC makes excellent tools. For how much longer remains to be seen, since DeWalt bought them.

So NotEnoughBrains, where are you located? If yer local, and I need some sheetrocking/laminating done, I'll call you--if the job is simple.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Along NotenoughBrains Porter Cable suggestion, Bosch makes sumpn similar to these 'zip type ditties, a laminate trimmer, I believe, like a mini-router, with a true base, removeable. Bought one years ago, for under $100. Never used it. But likely could do rotozip stuff, handily. Looks good on the shelf, tho. :) And fits in a really small box. :) :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

You don't have enough money to get me to come to that cesspool you live in.......

Yonkers......Puhleeezzzeee.....

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:4sRSh.2260$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Y'know, PV, the RotoZip was originally designed for, and used almost exclusively by, professional board hangers. It dates back to the 1980s, IIRC.

It's only fairly recently in its product life cycle that it became a popular "But WAIT!" teevee sales item.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I may not be too swift in shitrock, but you don't have an effing clue about real estate, jack. Yonkers is now good enough for Trump, dude.

There is probably *nowhere in the goddamm country* that real estate value has increased as quickly as in Yonkers. Not saying it's as high as LIC, or downtown Brooklyn, or Manhattan, but it's *rate of change* is astounding. Unnerving, even.

The longtime problem with Yonkers was that the previous crooked politicians hadn't realized how to w**re out the city to real estate developers. With the thermo-nukuler real estate explosion in Manhattan, the Current Crooked Yonkers Politicians have figgered it out, and Yonkers, in the very next few years, will probably be *the* most exclusive place to live, short of Sutton Place in Manhattan and the riverfront mansions in Riverdale--largely due to its very long shore line along the Hudson (Yupsters gots to have dey water, donchaknow), and plentiful Amtrack routes, etc--AND, last but not least, its *immediate* proximity to the Mount Manhattan, or even closer, to Bronx subways.

About 10 years ago, Yonkers was the only place in the whole goddamm country north of the Mason-Dixon line to lose a federal school segregation lawsuit, with a judge who imposed exponentially mounting fines, doubling each day.

But those days are over, jack.

Sheeit, after they finish getting rid of the drug dealers, they will probably try to get rid of me, and my ilk.

The *average* house in my immediate area is 5,000 sq feet, and *well over* $1 mil.

Because of, well, the really good Pimps we now have in Local Gummint here.

Inyway, I'm sure the illegals around here shitrock as well as you do or better, and for a whole lot less than your self-impressed price, so don't worry about it.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Personally, I don't think the hurricane of sheetrock dust is worth it. Most drywall contractors I've seen still use a keyhole saw.

Reply to
ATP*

wrote

Rotozips kick ass. One guy with an RZ can do a whole house in the time it takes a guy with a keyhole saw to do a big room. If the dust bugs you that much spray a little water on the wall. Either way you are gonna clean up some dust.

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" wrote

Today, I used a RotoZip. I had to tee into a water line, and run a stub through the wall to make an outside hose bibb. Zip zap. Located the studs, cut a hole, sweated in a tee, put the piece back with a little mud, done. I set the depth so that I wouldn't have to worry about cutting anything, and I didn't even come CLOSE to anything.

I think that only a union man working by the hour would have anything against a RotoZip.

A hand drywall saw definitely has places where it's the weapon of choice. Not many, though.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ah! Another contender for the "I've never used the tool, and don't know how to drywall, but I know it's junk" crowd!

The "secret" to the RZ type tools is that they shove the dust INTO the wall. You don't get a "hurricane of sheetrock dust". In fact, it's much cleaner than sawing.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Junk" has different contexts.

A tool can be crappily built, mis-advertised and mis-represented, and still be narrowly useful, as many posters have shown.

There is no way the Zip I now have could withstand prolonged industrial/trade use--proly not even much home use, for a variety of reasons, just one of which is that half the goddamm parts are already missing--and likely inevitably so.

No way you could re-tile a g-d bathroom with it, or peel up a kitchen floor's worth of linoleum, or usefully sand anything but the edge of a 2x4. iirc, the mis-infomercial spent mebbe 5%, if that, on valid shitrock applications.

Perhaps "hustle" is a better word than "junk". Like the drill doctor, where they claim a 1/2" bit costs $20, or a fractional drill set $100, when decent 115 pc drill sets can be had for $29. Or the instant sharpening of a carbide masonry bit--give me a break. You couldn't sharpen a masonry bit that fast even on a green wheel on a 8" pedestal grinder.

A pedagogic note: God Forbid that the Pubic be TAUGHT how to sharpen drill bits by hand. Not saying the DD is bad or junk--it may or may not be--proly is--but it is F'SURE a hustle.

Or the ""7,000 lb truck" running over an Oreck. Please..... The back wheel of that goddamm pickup coulda run over my slippered foot without doing much damage. Not saying the Oreck is bad or junk--it may or may not be--proly is--but is is F'SURE a hustle.

Sleight-of-hand is *necessarily* employed by junk vendors, vending largely junk.

Even if said junk can be useful.

Better, as NotEnoughBrains suggested, to buy the Porter Cable, if for no other reason, to spite the Junk Peeple.

So, the "I don't know shit, but I know it's junk" crowd can indeed not know shit, but still be right, just on Marketing GP.

Would be interesting, tho, to survey drywall contractors, to see what they think, and why. Would be a hoot if ATP were correct!!

Oh, this is funnier'n'shit.... I was a supervisor for a drywall construction firm in Manhattan. :O Didn't know shit about shitrock then, either. :) Except that it was goddamm heavy..... :) :) Thank god my house is plaster & lathe... :) :) :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:MnpTh.7$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

So, DO you have any recommendations for products based on your own personal experiences and vast intellect? Or just criticism?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yeah, Vaseline. You should try some. Make sure there's no sand in it.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Oh yeah, *big props* to Eric.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Your problem is that you watch infomercials. If you didn't watch them (and don't tell me that you didn't know at the time that they were lying to you!) you wouldn't have unreasonable expectations of what products can do.

It depends on what quality of drill bits you buy, doesn't it? If you buy your bits at $29/set, then it doesn't make sense to spend $100 on a Drill Doctor - but surely you could figure that out for yourself. On the other hand, if you regularly buy expensive drill bits, it might be worthwhile.

Also, there's the time aspect. If I dull or damage a drill, it takes far less time to resharpen it in an in-house DD than it does to drive to the nearest store where I can buy a new drill. That's worth something.

Um, have you tried it? I have. The diamond wheel in the DD removed carbide from the bit astonishingly fast, given the light pressure and momentary contact that I used. A green wheel is silicon carbide, which is nowhere close to diamond in hardness. (And I have used a green wheel to sharpen carbide lathe tools).

You mean that the infomercials are a hustle. Don't watch them. Feel better now? Actually just turn off the TV entirely, you'll feel better yet.

My own impression of the DD is that it provides a pretty decent sharpening job with minimal skill. The 180 grit wheel is somewhat coarse compared to whatever does the final grinding on new bits. I could *probably* do better with lots of practice, but the DD means I don't need to spend that time practicing just to make a dull bit usable again.

So change the channel already!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I think I've hung a few more sheets than you, Lloyd, and probably been on quite a few more construction sites. I still have the Porter Cable router that was used for sheetrock before the Roto-Zip came out.

Reply to
ATP*

But how can this be? Someone who has hung a lot of rock knowing a lot more than a clueless newbie? It's against the laws of Usenet denizens, I say!

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

WHO's a "clueless newbie"?

And where the hell does someone automatically get the information about how many boards of rock I've hung in my life?

I'm "competent" in all the basic construction trades, sir. Did it for over ten years before I realized that brain-sweat was a more effective lubricant for my money machine than pit-sweat.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh