Rotating TV Platform Hardware - Where to get?

The other day I was in an unfinished furniture store and I noticed they had TV rotating platform. (what do you call em?) It was a simple wooded circle mounted to some kind of hardware assembly that let the wood piece to rotate freely. (The hardware piece was about as big as a dinner plate). The idea is you can easily turn your TV set to face a different direction. I'd like to build my own instead of paying the $50 price tag, but I have no idea where to get the hardware. Anybody know where? Link?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mak Wilson) wrote in

It's called a lazy susan. You can get the bearings almost anywhere, but here is a Lee Valley link:
www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?pageD014&SID=&ccurrency=2&category=3%2C44013

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm having trouble finding it at the local hardware stores, but I'll keep looking.
Thanks Murray

If you're looking for plain lazy susan bearings, kitchen cabinet fabricators/suppliers usually carry them. I think Ikea has them too.
Tho, Lee Valley's prices are likely lower than most people offer them at, and their units are better quality than most.
_Highly_ recommended (I live & work about 10 minutes away from LV's head office/warehouse/retail outlet. Nyah nyah! Worth it just to get their catalog.)
Don't waste much time looking too hard. LV's mailorder is very good.
_These_ things are fantastic:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?pageH738&SID=&ccurrency=2&category=3%2C44013
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On 25 May 2004 21:14:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mak Wilson) wrote:

Any online hardware source. Lazy Susan bearings are probably available at your local hardware store as well. Try a Google/Froogle but I've gotten them through Rockler before:
http://www.rockler.com /
Jeff

Lazy Susan Bearings are available in two sizes at Home Depot...
SKU #144916 - 6" - $3.91 SKU #144924 - 12" - $8.97
Rick
MW> The other day I was in an unfinished furniture store and I noticed MW> they had TV rotating platform. (what do you call em?) It was a MW> simple wooded circle mounted to some kind of hardware assembly that MW> let the wood piece to rotate freely. (The hardware piece was about as MW> big as a dinner plate). The idea is you can easily turn your TV set MW> to face a different direction. I'd like to build my own instead of MW> paying the $50 price tag, but I have no idea where to get the MW> hardware. Anybody know where? Link? I believe what you are looking for is a "Lazy Susan". Have seen the basic hardware at hardware stores and on the surplus market (try www.mpja.com).
Look carefully at the constuction: some are plastic and some are metal; some have few ball bearings some have a lot.
For a TV a large rotating diameter is probably best -- a small diameter can cause a 'tippy' base. And this one may sound obvious but note the position of the television's feet -- you don't want to make the platform too small, nor do you necessarily need to make it as large as the footprint of the TV.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Bunnies hopping backward: A receding hareline...
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971