Rotary laser level not even close to level

I purchased one the those kits with the rotary level and tripod combination thinking I could establish a level line around a room. The problem is the tripod cannot be leveled vertically and horizontally even though the bubble level build into the tripod indicated its right on dead center. The base of the rotary laser level has adjustments to level itself but without the tripod being level the rotary level is useless as it goes around the tripod the two bubbles on the rotary base goes all over the map. Back to water and a plastic tube - there is nothing more accurate than this for a cheap fix.

Reply to
Fred

Did you get a reputable brand or one of those Chinese jobbers?-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

Greetings,

a) ignore the level lines b) level the tripod c) draw new level lines with a black marker

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Must be. Water levels are very easy to use and very accurate. Can you describe what you do and what you use?

RicodJour

I have "one of those Chinese jobbers" and it's very accurate -- IF you calibrate it. The instructions included steps on how to calibrate the device. It's a pain, but once done, the level is accurate to about a quarter inch over 30 feet, which is what the specs for the device say... I can't get a water level even close to that level of accurace but it could be my technique...

It doesn't really mater if the tripod is level as long as the laser head is level. But starting with a level tripod makes things a lot easier...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

RTFM, you obviously haven't followed the instructions

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Water levels while easy to understand in principal, suffer from thermal expansion effects if the water throughout ther length isn't kept at the same temperature. Liquids expand a lot more than most solids do.

Water at around 75 F changes density about -150*10^-6 per degree F with increasing temperature.

If you are using a simple water level made of clear tubing with the ends raised about 6 feet above the lowest point of that tubing, and sunlight heats one leg 10 F warmer than the other, there will be about an eight of an inch of error. The water level in the warmer leg will be higher than that in the other one.

Not much to worry about in most applications, but worth keeping in mind if SWMBO absalutely positively wants those pictures of your grandkids hung at exactly the same height.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

jim

Reply to
jim evans

My newsreader evidently dropped this message, so I'll reply here.

I have a Zircon electric water level. It works just fine, but I'd never rely on it to more than about 3/8" precision. Not sure if the tubing is too narrow or what, but sometimes I can get the level, mark it, then shake the tube, relevel, and I'll get a new mark, about 1/4" from the other one. Close enough for most work, but still bugs me.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer