ROOTS IN SEWER PIPE

WILL ROOTS GROW THROUGH PLASTIC SEWER PIPE?

E-MAIL WELCOME

Reply to
CHARLES YORK

No, not real plastic sewer pipe, which is ABS plastic. If some one is dumb enough to use PVC, then a tree root growing beside it will apply enough pressure to crack the PVC, then roots will grow in the pipe.

A septic tank system with perforated drain field pipe will easily let roots in through the holes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Two weeks ago I had to have my main drain pipe dug up to clear out roots that had gotten into them. The pvc pipe was not cracked. The pipe had not been glued at a coupling. When water seeps out that provides a path for the roots to follow, enter the pipe and prosper. This particular joint was also in the drip range of the tree that had not been in that location when the drain was originally laid 13 years ago. I expect that if the drain line doesn't leak the roots will not be a problem.

BTW, the whole drain line did not have to be dug up. The use of a TV system to locate the problem, minimized the digging.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

theres a easy CHEAP method that requires near zero work to remove roots.

perodically dump a 25 pound bag of rocksalt in a washtub, mix with very hot water and a shovel, then everyone spend the day away from home. so the salt water has time to lay in the line.....

leave some of the salt undisolved in the tub, so later water uses add another salt bath to the roots.

a clogged line has this actually work better......

repeat perodically espically in spring when trees are about to leaf out...

its worked for me for near 15 years. use rocksalt or softener salt. it kills the roots but leaves the trees or bushes unharmed

Reply to
bob haller