Roots in septic tank

My septic tank was pumped yesterday and maple tree roots were discovered in the tank. Is there a way to solve this problem other than a new tank? I heard there might be some kind of chemical I can use. Thanks.
: My septic tank was pumped yesterday and maple tree roots were discovered in : the tank. Is there a way to solve this problem other than a new tank? I : heard there might be some kind of chemical I can use. Thanks. : :
cut down the tree
Copper sulfate, medium sized crystals. http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/c819-3w.html#Tree%20Roots
I told my daughter to drop a crystal into the commode late in the evening, it might go all night without a flush. One crystal a night. It cost less than 2 dollars a pound.
Remove trees for a permanent correction.
Maple trees are only supposed to be pruned. To within an inch of the ground.

This is Turtle.
Here in Louisiana we have some stuff called Root-X and put it in the septic system. Now It might kill the tree if the tree drinks too much.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Well, don't think you're particularly blessed just for being in LA... :)
www.rootxusa.com
"ROOT-X is a nonsystemic, patented chemical root control formula. This means it only kills the roots it comes in contact with, not the tree or plant itself. The active ingredient, Dichlobenil, will not only kill roots, but will also prevent their regrowth for up to one year."
Haven't used it so can't say from experience how effective it is/isn't, but have seen it...
don h wrote:

List of actively listed products containing Dichlobenil...
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Products.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35057&Chem_Name=Dichlobenil&PC_Code 7401
May or may not solve the problem long term as the roots of a tree that close to the tank are likely to eventually break it up and get into the drains as well.

I have a thirsty willow tree, and I regularly dig down to the joints in the pipe and cut away any roots trying to get into the pipe (or already in), and put some root-kill chemical (Home Depot, etc) there in the dirt. I intend to improve the seals at the pipe joints, too. Also, check the doors on top of the tank. The roots are not all-powerful -- they can be defeated, if you want to keep the tree.
Now that's a good sensible answer....thank you.