Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

Page 8 of 9
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:56:49 +0000, mroberds wrote:

Actually, I was remiss in not stating that the blower motor generally fails by acting weirdly, often said to "have a mind of its own", and, most often by a parasitic current draw overnight that kills the battery.

i guess they call replacing a simple resistor with a bunch of transistors.... "progress"
i'd replace the module with a bunch of power resistors and maybe a PTC (self resetting) fuse
Mark
Mark
wrote in
Re: Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures:

Why not just buy a Toyota and save yourself a lot of problems in the future.
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 05:07:17 -0500, VinnyB wrote:

Might be a good idea! :)
My E46 hedgehog cooked itself twice in 4 years! http://www.diablo944.co.uk/Hedgehogimageset.pdf
On 22 Mar 2013 13:46:59 GMT, carson ridder

But anyone who thinks they are somebody or something needs to own at least ONE weiner wagon - mabee two or 3 - one of each major brand - MB, BMW, and Audi - and perhaps a Porsche - just to prove they are not invulnerable and all powerfull. Either one of them can take a guy down a notch pretty quickly.
On 03/22/2013 04:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not unless you want to become addicted and need to drive kraut burners for the rest of your life. I and several friends have unfortunately fallen prey to this disease and our wallets have suffered as a result.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 03/22/2013 06:07 AM, VinnyB wrote:

They haven't sold the Supra here in ages :(
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:56:49 +0000, mroberds wrote:

That seems like an EXCELLENT idea, if we can put some kind of temperature indicator in the FSU tines, then we can observe what the temperature is in situ - which might tell us something about what is overheating these things (assuming heat is the culprit).

d...

)

le

I had a dodge caravan that fried its heater AC motor speed control resistor repeatedly....
the connector to the wiring harness detoriates from the high current and the voltage drop causes the connector to heat up and the entire assembly fails.
Oddly enough I repair roll laminators that apply plastic film to paper think menus:)
laminators experience similiar failures so I did the following.
Purchased a new resistor block, soldered wires on all the connectors putting a heavy wire on each one.... Put a pigtail on each one. Installed resistor block. Its screwerd to the fire wall.
Cut the plug assembly off the harness, stripped all wires, twisted them together and installed wire nuts on each one.
had the van for years with zero problems for this part:)
Have you got a link to these "common problems" you keep posting about?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid 6060&d94115994
========

..

I don't have a link, but we had the blower resistor widget go on an X5 here. And the aux cooling fan motor has gone twice. There are plenty of threads online about many people having those problems. Oh, and don't forget the nice X5 feature where the cable that they use to hold up the windows snaps, sending the window crashing down inside the door, breaking it into a million pieces. Had that happen twice too, once while the car was just sitting in the driveway. Other time was driving down the highway.
Then there are their defective rubber parts. Like the boot on the intake manifold that cracks in just a few years. Or the CV joint boots. I've had lots of cars with CV boots and only on the X5 do they fail every 20K miles. I've seen Honda CRVs that went 200K miles with no failure.
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 07:20:44 -0700, jim beam wrote:

As for me, I fell sway to all the people saying how great the bimmer was.
It was only after I owned it, that I realized that BMW engineers knew how to design a suspension and a drive train, but they had no idea how to build a machine.
To their credit, some people say it's not the engineers fault as they probably know by now that every single Bosch 5.7 ABS control module fried in every one of the vehicles it was placed in, and that the final stage unit cooked itself to death in every single BMW it was ever placed in, and that the 2-bar plastic cooling system sprang a leak on almost every single BMW ever built, etc.
In fact, there's absolutely NO WAY BMW can't know about these egregious engineering flaws. So, the common conclusion is that their customers don't care - so why should they.
To me, it smacks of 3rd-grade engineering from BMW, so, that's why I, for one, am amazed (being an owner myself), how sophomoric BMW engineering really is.
Disclaimer: Yet, the drive train is phenomenal!
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:54:13 +0000 (UTC), Bimmer Owner

If the engine desnt burn to the ground due to oil leaks, or overheat or run out of oil, because of all the problems with "ancilliary systems"
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:42:00 +0000, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Of course. Nothing I've ever written is not well documented.
I'm not sure "which" common problem you're asking about, so, here is just a sample of the most-common problems that afflict almost every BMW E39, E38, and E46 (I'm sure there are others but I'm only familiar with those models that use the M54 engine).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p `97104&postcountF
Behr cooling system leaking Plastic DISA valve breaking & destroying the engine Cluster pixel tape lifting MID pixel tape lifting Hella PBT headlight adjusters breaking Power steering cap & hose leaking Trunk wiring loom fraying CCV clogging Bosch ABS control module frying Cupholders breaking I6 VANOS seals deteriorating V8 valley pan gaskets leaking GKR/BMW/Valeo FSU/FSR dying Thrust arm bushings leaking Ambient temperature sensor breaking Window regulators breaking Vapor barrier adhesive leaking Jack pads falling off Windshield cover molding crumbling Driver's seat control switch breaking Rear center brakelight socket melting Seat cables fall out causing seat twist Windshield washer tanks & pumps leaking BMW roundel paint chipping Vent trim corner cracking & wood trim varnish cracking Rear center brake light socket melting
Note: The reference above has detailed links to EACH of these topics above.

I must be lucky. My 2000 323 has had only one of the above "failures" - leaky power-steering hoses.
On Mar 25, 2:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

..

ints

There

ou

hree

and

part

ed

Maybe it's time to look at this thing like gas and brakes... You put gas in, you go so far. You put one of these blower modules in and you go for a few years again. It's not like they are a $500 or $1000 puter. Don't they cost like $50? I mean how much is time worth trying to reverse engineer it.....

This is how people are. At some point intellectual curiosity takes over.
In this case it might actually be worth it, because of the sheer number of the things out there that are failing.... one person figuring the failure mode out might save a lot of people that grief.
But mostly it's just intellectual curiosity. --scott

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:56:22 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Exactly!

I don't even own a BMW. After this thread, I don't think I ever will.
On 03/26/2013 12:35 PM, tm wrote:

Like I said before, don't drive one then. It's kind of like going on a date with that unbelievably attractive female type who is also smart, witty, fun to be around, actually seems to like you, and oh by the way is completely mentally unhinged.
Suddenly you find yourself putting up with all sorts of stuff that you wouldn't, otherwise... (now that said, touch wood, current ride has exhibited none of the known issues... which reminds me, I need to call and schedule the battery cable recall @ the stealership)
nate