Room oulets on kitchen branch circuit?

Getting another circuit into the eating area of my kitchen is proving much more difficult in fact than it looked on paper (connecting to old work). One option is to connect the eating-area outlets to the kitchen counter circuits. If inspectors differ on this that is good to know too.

Each 20A kitchen circuit will have a GFCI outlet protecting two additional outlets. I have not done the home-runs so I have't decided if I will run two 12/2 wires or use a single 12/3 with a shared common.

Work description. From the GFCIs each circuit will power one outlet on either side of the sink and then power one outlet one either side of the island. This is galley layout with the sink centered against the wall opposite a slide in range in an island. Both counters are around six feet long. The wall between the kitchen and the family room has been removed to open to space and streach the counters and cabinets five more (very needed) inches. There is an additional four foot counter on a side wall for assistant cooks and electical appliances. This counter will have the two GFCI outlets.

I figured out this option too late to call my inspector before this weekend.

Thanks for any help

Richard Kaiser

Reply to
Richard Kaiser

The two kitchen circuits can serve the eating area as well. "The two or more 20-amp small appliance branch circuits...shall serve all receptacle outlets, including refrigeration, in the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area"

Reply to
donald girod

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. The code says you must have at least two 20 A small appliance circuits supplying outlets for the countertop. No point along the wall line of the countertop can be more than

2 feet from an outlet. These circuits are allowed to serve outlets the kitchen, dining room, pantry, breakfast room and similar locations. Your local inspector may have more stringent requirements.
Reply to
Paul A