Roofing shingles comparison

A roofer proposes to use Temko brand laminated fiberglass and asphalt shingles, either of these:
Heritage 30 AR Heritage 50 AR
Per mfgr data sheets, these appear to be exactly the same except the 50 is described as "heavyweight"; I cannot find the weights on the mfgr website. Does anyone know?
http://www.tamko.com/Residential/tabid/54/ControlType/categoryDisplay/itemid/5/Default.aspx
    Una
Add pictures here
✖
What I am really most concerned about is durability against hail, which we get several times a year. Fortunately not often larger than pea size, but we get pea or dime hail several times a year and there is a risk of golfball, baseball, or even softball size.
    Una
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 19, 9:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

If you are in a hail area check your insurance agent. I put on a Class 4 hail resistant roof and got a 28% discount on homeowners insurance.
You might want to look at metal roof:
http://www.gerardusa.com
I had that put on six years ago after hail took out my old shake roof.
Add pictures here
✖

Ahah, a clue! After some calling around I found out a bunch of important stuff.
UL 2218 is the destructive testing standard used to classify roof products for impact resistance. Impact can involve hail, falling tree limbs and pinecones etc, and tornado debris. Class 4 is the best.
Tamko asphalt shingles are not classified for impact resistance. That does not mean their impact resistance would be poor. My ins co lists about 10 asphalt single products that are Class 3 or 4 and *may* qualify for an insurance discount in my region. I will research those.
The main difference between the two Tamko shingles proposed by my roofer is the warranty.
    Una
Add pictures here
✖
Una wrote:

Like Rich256 said, if you're looking for durability against hail in an asphalt shingle, look for a UL Class 4. Here's a link to the ones State Farm approves for a premium credit:
http://www.statefarm.com/_pdf/nationwide.pdf
I don't see any Tamko listed.
One other thing you might consider in choosing a shingle is wind resistance but maybe it will be tough enough to find an impact-resistant one both you and your roofer like.
Good luck.
Add pictures here
✖
Erma1ina wrote:

two words: seamed steel. never worry about your roof again in your lifetime.
If you want something flashier, seamed copper.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

✖
Another advantage of steel is that it can be installed over the old roofing. I recently heard the price of steel has gone up.

.
Add pictures here
✖
Una wrote:

http://www.tamko.com/Residential/tabid/54/ControlType/categoryDisplay/itemid/5/Default.aspx
That is because the roofing industry has shifted from "weight" ratings to expected shingle life for their shingles. Not many use weights anymore, but here is an explanation that may help you:
http://www.professionalroofing.net/past/july00/qa.asp
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.