Roofing Questions--

We have a small cabin, with a roof area of about 1300 sq feet. We have just learned that we will need a new shingle roof soon. I need to know some "basics" regarding amount of shingles needed, so that I can ballpark the materials cost and have some other information.
Here are my questions:
1. How many squares are in a bundle ? (these are going to be architectural shingles)
2. How many square feet will a square (or a bundle) cover ?
3. This cabin is located in the Blue Ridge Mtns of the Southeast. Is there any "barkpark" estimate of the going rate for replacing roofing per square, or per bundle ?
4. I suppose that accurate answers to questions 1 and 2 will give me a good approximation of how many bundles of shingles I will need to buy.
Thanks for any help !!
--James--

architectural
It is the opposite, bundles to a square. Varies a bit depending on quality, you may been three of four per square.

100 per square. If 3 bundles per square, 33.3 per bundle. You need 13 square plus some wast, plus a cap. Buy an bundle or two extra and most all dealer will take back unopned unused materail.

there
square,
I have no idea, but labor is more than mateial. Other materials are needed also, nails, trim, flashing, etc. HTH Ed
James Nipper wrote:

a square is 100 sq. feet when talking about roofs.. in most roofing material there are three bundles to a square.... exp. 30 by 60 sg. ft. 1800 sq. ft.living space home has 26 squares of shingles put on roof... the pitch of the roof was 6/12 for every foot of the roof there was a 6 inch pitch, the roof got higher...............by 6 inches.. to tear down a roof this size and put new stuff on that cost $30 per square(100 sq. ft) is about $100 per square.. i paid $5400 for a tear down and replace on a 2600 square foot roof(26 squares) last year in the new orleans louisian area.... but i got a price as low as $3000 for the same job also.. i think the $3000 job was too low and turned him down.. the $5400 job was done by subs that i would not have hired to clean out a septic tank... but did not know at the time.....
I just had a reroofing/replacement for 41 squares for $6,000 or $150 per square:
- Dimensional Shingles C.O. sold at Lowes - 30year. - Underlayment @# 15. - 4 vents - 60 feet Top ridge
Most roof relacement is done by cheap subcontractors who get around 15% of what you pay - (for Labor). I could have had it done for $3,300 if I used them directly; but I was afraid to, because of injury/accident liability... That's why I paid almost twice as much: it is called Workmen Compensation Ins. The Co I hired made a Cool $2,000 net - without getting its hands dirty - by providing it!
.