Roofing question

On a free standing lean-to shed with a shed type roof, how do I do the very last course ( top ) to cover the asphault strips and untabbed top of the last 3 tab type shingle(s). Also do I have to rainproof ( flash ) that top piece between the shingle and dripedge. What should I do? ( The roof's slope is 4" over 12" )

Reply to
Al D

You should absolutely flash between the shed roof and whatever it butts up against. If your layout is such that you cant fit a whole shingle in on the last course, just cut the tabs whatever width you have left and nail them seperately. These loose tabs should be under the flashing 2 - 3 inches and nailed at the very top, then nail the flashing down and tar the nail heads.

Reply to
Randd01

If I understand correctly, you just want to finsh the last course on a shed roof that doesn't connect to anything else. If that is the case, you just need to get a piece of "L" shaped flashing and nail it over the last row. Then caulk the nail heads.

If necessary to have a uniform appearance, install the last course hanging over the top edge of the roof in order to show the tab portion of the shingles. Then just cut off the head portion of the shingle so that only be bottom tabs will be seen.

Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX

Bruce