Roofing Question

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:57:42 -0800, "jim" scribbled this interesting note:

Of this list, I rank in them in the following descending order:

Tamko, GAF Timberline, Owens Corning.

The Tamko and GAF products are both very good. I try to avoid the Owens Corning products if at all possible.

John Willis

Hello all... I am getting quotes for a new roof. I have had 3 contractors come out and each one has recommended a different product. The choices are Tamko, Owens Corning, and Timeberline. Does anyone know if one is much better then the other ? Any comments ??

thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
jim

I don't know about all brands, but most make many different products and qualities of products. In addition even the "same" line in one part of the country may be different in another area, as they are often customized for local climate conditions.

Consumer Reports did a report on these products in the last year. Stop by your library and take a look for some ideas. Don't just look at the ratings, read the whole story

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I can't say about the others, but I can relate my experience with Tamko.

Approx. 10 years ago, I had the shingles replaced and they used Tamko 25 yr. shingles. However, the contractor installed them wrong. He should have torn the old roof off before installing the new shingles, but didn't.

About 2 years ago, I had problems with the Tamko shingles. The people at Tamko were very nice, and sent me a package to put a sample of the shingle into and send back to them. They also wanted pictures of the roof.

Even though they stated that it was installed wrong, they still covered the shingles under their warranty, and sent a check within a week after they got the shingle sample.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Reply to
Stoic

I ilke , Slate and Ceramic T ile ,,, the 100 yr stuff , Ya know, why waiste ya time,

Reply to
m Ransley