Roofing question

I'm in the process of doing a complete tear off and install on my addition and my question is, I have the ice shield on, now does the first layer of felt paper go on top of that or do I start it 30" up and start with a 6"overlap? Town ordinance says inspection must be done after ice shield is installed. What are they looking for? Can't continue until inspector signs off. Thanks. NY

That is your "dry in" inspection. They want to see that you actually used ice shield and felt paper. The rule in roofing is you start at the bottom and go up with each successive layer lapping the one below. I just did my dry in and I am waiting for the 501 inspection tomorrow. I used Grace Ice and Water all the way up because I am putting solar collectors and the membrane will seal all the fasteners.
http://esteroriverheights.com/electrical/addition/dry_in.jpg

A roofer told me the felt starts up from the WSU. What did mfgr say on the box about it? Anything? Is that where you got the 30" from?