Roofing Question

Page 1 of 2
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:
"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."
I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.
Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4" tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Yes. What else could happen? For the material price difference it doesn't make sense to futz around with shimming, particularly if he's piecing in.

What's interesting - and somewhat disturbing - is that he assumes it is 1/2" without checking.
He just did a neighbor's house the other day and I saw the delivery guy piling up a bunch of 1/2" sheets of ply.
What if I don't know it's 3/4' and he shows up with a bunch of 1/2" ply? Is it safe to assume he'd send a truck for 3/4"? (That's not a question looking for an answer...it's just a curiousity.)
I'm not going to let it be a problem cause every estimate from now on will include 3/4" - and I will be checking with my neighbor to see if the guy checked his house first.

You're only wasting your time and setting yourself up for a problem if you don't impart all information you have to everyone you've chosen to bid. There's really no point in either party making assumptions as they rarely work out well.
I've seen engineer friends shoot themselves in the foot by overdoing it and handing out six page sets of specifications for a simple reroof, but there's a happy medium and you just have ot hit the high points to keep the bids comparable.

I'm assuming this is a just general informationand not directed at me.
I already said that everyone will know it's 3/4". The last thing I'll do is leave things as important as that to an assumption.
My wife was just doing me a favor since the guy was in the neighborhood, Had I known she was being such an efficient wife, I'd have let her know about all the things I think the contractor needs to know before asking for a bid. The decking is not the only thing that I want discussed.
But thanks anyway!

You plural.
What's interesting - and somewhat disturbing - is that he assumes it is 1/2" without checking.
He just did a neighbor's house the other day and I saw the delivery guy piling up a bunch of 1/2" sheets of ply.
*************************************
Can't say what he'd do. If reputable,he'd just put the right material in place. In the case of your neighbor, it is possible he knew the entire deck needed replacing and was going to use 1/2" all the way or was putting the 1/2" atop the t & g. We can make lots of assumptions, but you'd have to call him to find out for sure.
Last summer I was getting bids on re-roofing an industrial building. One of the quotes came back with the same wording, it was $xx per sheet for plywood replacement. They guy was on up the roof and knew it was steel decking. Got three bids and went with the highest bidder and saved money.

As far as quoting plywood for a steel roof, I could see it happening. On my quote, the wording about the 1/2" ply is a standard typed clause, like the site cleanup, 30 lb felt, etc. There's lots of specific stuff handwritten, but the ply quote is standard and noted with "as needed".
I wonder if it was the same case with your building - a standard "as needed' clause which obviously wouldn't be needed.
On the other hand, if the guy wrote (or typed) it in specifically for your job - then that's another story!
As far as quoting plywood for a steel roof, I could see it happening. On my quote, the wording about the 1/2" ply is a standard typed clause, like the site cleanup, 30 lb felt, etc. There's lots of specific stuff handwritten, but the ply quote is standard and noted with "as needed".
I wonder if it was the same case with your building - a standard "as needed' clause which obviously wouldn't be needed.
On the other hand, if the guy wrote (or typed) it in specifically for your job - then that's another story!
*****************************
I'm pretty sure it was just a standard clause, but he did not address the real issue, replacing some of the steel deck. If they don't pay attention to details in the bid, will they pay attention to the details in the roof? I knew that some deck would have to be replaced.
The company that did the job also did two other roof sections a couple of years ago. Weismann Roofing is a top notch outfit with fair prices and professional work. They have the equipment and experienced people to do the big jobs. Since this section (33,000 sq ft) was done we had them do the office roof (10,000 ft shingled)
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why replace the whole roof if all you need is shingles?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Apr 5, 10:25pm, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?

That's not a serious question is it?
Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:

a full tear-off, inspection, and thumping to look for soft spots. Having to replace a few mushy spots (like around chimney where flashing often fails) is quite routine.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

message

He's going to stand on while shingling so he does not get the decking dirty from his work boots
On Apr 5, 7:25pm, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?

The whole thing sounds dubious to me. Why would a contractor be delivering a pile of ply if they haven't even started the tear-off yet. It costs money and time to deliver and then remove uneeded material
I would not deal, or even talk, to a "contractor' that "happened to be in the area". Well maybe I would depending on the looks of the equipment and crew but it would only be to get a bid for comparing to other companies.
Harry K

In the case of the neighbor's house (where the ply was delivered along with the shingles) my wife tells me that they had water damage to the bedroom ceilings due to the leaky roof. I can only assume that a more through inspection was done before the material was delivered and the work started. I won't know that until I've had a chance to speak to the neighbor.

Let me clarify something that you might have deduced by putting a couple of different things in this thread together, although maybe not. <g>
Yes, he was "in the neighborhood" but he was also roofing a neighbor's house, a family we have known and liked for over 20 years. I've trusted the nieghbor's judgement on other things in the past, so I trust that he did his homework before hiring this particular roofer. I can't say for sure until I talk to him, but that's my guess.
So this wasn't just a "Hey Look - a roofer - let's get an estimate." It was more like "Hey that roofer's doing Richard's house - let's get an estimate."
And yes, regardless of what his crew and equipment looked like, this will be just one of at least 3 estimates I get.
Thanks for the advice.

"Harry K" wrote

Appearances can be deceiving. They definatley arrived with sheets of plywood at my place. Why? Because inspection already showed they would need some. The company I used does enough roof work to have a ready stock on hand so they brought what they thought they would need, then a few extra 'incase' (which we needed some of those few extra).

Always get multiple estimates but getting to see them at work on a neighbors house can give you a good idea of the work they do.
I would say one other thing. A contractor who does too many different types of jobs (all with one team) tends to not be very good at any of them. The fellow we used does roofs (has a special team for that), siding (has a separate special team), and custom windows (with a 3rd team). Each 'team' does just their own type of work and do it well.

You can clarify this with your roofer, but on the rare occasions that I have bid roof work, I would say something like "Contractor assumes that a re-deck will not be necessary. If roof needs a complete redeck, an additional charge of $45 per sheet of 1/2" plywood will apply.
Most older (pre-WWII) houses in my area have a layer of cedar shakes at the bottom, and the 3/4" pine sheathing underneath has large gaps in between the boards to allow the cedar to breath. Once the roof is torn off, the entire roof needs to be redecked, and we usually use 7/16" or 1/2" OSB.
JK

It sounds like you're saying that it's all or nothing. We both know that's not true, so didn't you ever bid on a job that might need just a sheet or two? Did you assume (and show up with) 1/2" ply?
For what it's worth, my deck is tight, no gaps...

I've done roofing only on a personal basis and the last one was qute a doozie. But anyway, in my limited exposure as to what's out there I've never seen/heard of 3/4 t&g for roof decking. Kinda heavy duty no? That doozie I mentioned was way north in the northeast, 50mi from Canada. I think it was just 5/8" at most. Any regular sheathing roofs I've done always had gaps. Gaps for expansion or it buckles. In fact some of the sheets on that one did not have gaps and they buckled on many. Fixrd that and ran a saw blade down all the seams to prevent buckling.