Roofing Question

Page 1 of 2
I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem. When I had a tile roof I had it sprayed every year with some kind of mildewcide....a man comes around and does several houses in the neighborhood. Last June I got a new GAF ultra Timberline shingle roof that is supposed to be pre-treated with some kind of chemical to keep algae from growing. So, when the man came around I said I wouldn't be needing the treatment anymore. He said the stuff that was used to pre- treat roofs didn't really help and I should go ahead and let him treat mine. I didn't .. because I was afraid it might affect the warranty. I called the contractor who said I didn't need anything else and I e- mailed GAF while waiting to hear from contractor. Haven't heard back from them.
Thing is, there are several houses around me who have newish roofs - older than mine but not a lot older - and they are beginning to show dark spots in places. Now I am wondering if I should call the guy back and have him treat my roof before I get spots ... Anybody know whether the GAF anti-fungal properties really work or not? Thanks.

Until you hear from GAF, I would do nothing. If you don't hear from them in another business day, use the telephone. You know where to find their phone number.
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:04:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:14:36 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Correct. I clicked the wrong thread, sorry. The intended question was meant for Dottie.

Hell, yes, i could spare 50 dollars. But not for beggars. Get a job.

well theres a new problem around pittsburgh, the north side of roofs is getting black streaks i had never seen before.
so wierd
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:38:50 -0600, "S. Barker"
He only asked for fiddy cents!

With his skills, he should be able to earn that much in an hour or less, at an job.

In time this could definitely become a "roofing problem."

Try www.therooftech.com

try www.therooftech.com
On Mar 9, 2:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I talked to the technical representative from GAF today. She said that spraying the roof would not affect the warranty. She also said that it should not be necessary. The copper oxide granules in the shingles should protect it for 10 years. I have decided to wait and if I have a problem down the line, I will call the man and have it sprayed then. Thanks again for all the help.
On Mar 9, 2:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try www.therooftech.com

Try www.therooftech.com
Why not actually answer some of the questions here? This is just a chicken shit way of getting people to you web sit. Trying to sell something? We all contribute tot he group, not just entice people away like some stranger in the park.
what you need is a strip of galvanized metal all along the ridge or just under the ridge shingles. The galv prevents the algae from growing. It won't remove what's already there, however.

[snip]
Been there, done that -- South Florida's heat/humidity overpowers the zinc strips. Instead of having solid mold/mildew you get mold/mildew with streaks.
I'd suggest that unless you have a HOA that's uptight about mildew on roofs, you just accept it as a fact of life and let the GAF shingles do whatever they're capable of. IMHO, over the course of years you'll have more shingle damage from walking around on it spraying chemicals than if you just let it age gracefully -- especially true for others with concrete or barrel tile roofs.
I'd suggest you need a wider strip of galv. Maybe a foot wide. We've got the problem pretty bad here on the north sides, and whereever theres a big flashing, there's no black below.

The strips (zinc) do little or nothing here in Oregon. I have the Algae resistant shingles, and haven't seen a sign of algae in two winters now. Pretty good for the Pacific NW and also having a couple trees near the roof. Not sure how they'll do in the long run, but so far so good. As for the original poster, the contractor is full of BS, do nothing until you see the first signs of moss, then get it treated. BTW it's not a coating, the shingles are embedded with copper.