roofing question

how do i know if i need a new roof if i have no leak? i know my shingles are old, but i don't know if a replacement is necessary. i have black streaks on parts of the roof. what are the signs you need a new roof?
SeaKan wrote:

What kind of roof? Is it wood? How old is it? What about any flashing, what condition is it in?
The black streaks, are likely moss and that is a different problem, but can cause the roof to go bad.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
SeaKan wrote:

Curling corners and visible loss of color granules exposing the black base layer on fiberglas/asphalt shingles. Splitting in wood shingles.
The black streaks can/should be cleaned off. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=roof+shingle+cleaner
It's usually best to head these types of problems off at the pass...meaning, if you think it's time for a new roof, it probably is. Go reputable, my son. Tom
SeaKan wrote:

When you have to sweep bits of shingle off the driveway every few days, it's time.