Roofing Material

Is the new metal roofing any good? I see alot of houses with it now. Is it just a fad or does it work as it was engineered to work?

Reply to
basstracker66

Its good - called, usually, "standing seam". It must be installed properly. When comparing divergent products the lower gauge number means a heavier duty material. Its not for walking on or for areas where there is a high risk of things dropping on it. It can dent.

Reply to
No

Metal roofing has been around a long time, and most of it last a long time. It is not really new. It is one of many good roofing materials available. What is best for you will depend greatly on the design of the building, and the environment the building is in. I would be happy to use it on my home, but it would look a little out of place in my development.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Maybe he means the metal shingles??

Mark and Kim Smith

Metal roofing is not new, and there are quite a few different types. Perhaps you could be more specific as to what kind of metal roof you are referring to.

Standing seam, corrugated, galvalume in many different profiles, R panel, just to name a few.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I was assuming that was part of the mix. Other than the fact that they don't have a long history of wide use, they seem to fit all the other comments about metal roofs. Actually they do fit in architecturally better.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

After having just gone through Hurricane Katrina (and STILL going through Hurricane Katrina!!) here in Biloxi, I can surely say that those homes that had metal roofs faired much better than those without. Of course, I hope you'd never confuse the new metal roofing systems with the older "tin roofs" often seen in the past. Tin Roof -- Rusted!!

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

Did you notice any difference in amount of damage between low sloped roofs(4/12) and high sloped roofs(10/12)....I mean those wearing asphalt shingles?

Billymack coastal NC

Reply to
BillyMack