Roofing Industry Question

I'm about to have a new roof installed. My neighbor just had his done, and was very satisfied. I called the same company to get a quote for my house. Rep took one look at my house and said "Your roof is too steep. Our workers can't work on a roof that steep." Then he left immediately.
Mine is a tract house, and about 25% of them have the identical floor plan (or mirror image) and same roof angle. My neighbor's roof is definitely a much less steep angle.
I can understand there may be higher worker's comp insurance rates for work on "steep roofs", and perhaps other insurance considerations as well. Would that explain why a reputable, local company, in business for 25 years, will decline to replace "steep" roofs? Or could some other factor be involved here that I have overlooked?
--
----------
CWLee

there was a Church here in Town that had a High pitch roof to change. they got a price from the local guy and then one from a bigger city to bid on it. The local guy was much more than the out of town fellow and the church as the local fellow why he bid so high. he said i don't have the equipment to do high pitch roof with and will have to buy or rent the equipment , also my crew has not got a clue as to running the high pitch roof equipment , and last of all we just give these jobs to the big outfits because the are set up for it and burns up a lot of time. We stay running all the time with regular roofs and really don't need the hard ones to add to the regular type job to make a living.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote: ....

There's the kernel of truth right there...

Sure is. A few years ago, my son wanted to get his house pressure washed (aluminum siding) before he painted it. One of the 3 companies he called came out, looked at it & said; "I don't want a job that big.", and left. It's a 2 story house, about 30 feet square.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In alt.home.repair on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:07:26 -0700 "CWLee"

How steep is it?

Maybe. Maybe.

Eyeballing it, I'd say between 40 and 45 degrees.
Woofer the roofer was a bladder with a ladder..
                - = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist      BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]