ROOFING IN THE RAIN

My neighbor across the street developed a small leak in the ridge of the roof over the garage. It is really raining right now.

What did she do? Called a "contractor" who immediately commence to tear off the roof in the rain. You know water is getting into the insulation. My goodness, just because someone has a license doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

I told my employee that I would put on another layer of shingles on the small section in question. It looks as if they are going for big bucks by tearing off IN THE RAIN and taking several days at the house. It's about 100 square feet.

Don't people think? Doesn't the owner know what's going on? Do these bozos really think they are doing the right thing?

A license to me means the holder pays a special price to the state each year. That's all it means. You had better know the job before you tangle up with anyone.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Since it's a garage there may not be any insulation to damage. Most garage spaces are uninsulated. The roof deck underneath should withstand a certain amount of rain. Most garages are just for parking anhyway and a bit of storage and have a concrete floor. So there is not that much to damage in most garages.

When you say rain that's just one day. If you check the forcast you will usually find that it won't rain forever. Protracted rain events are usually well forcasted. So it will stop raining eventually thus solving the problem. Contractors and crew leaders are well aware of forecasts.

A garage is usually a small building with a simple roofline. A tarp can easily be rigged over each section of roof as necessary. Usually you tear off one half of the roof at a time so the exposure is minimized. Then that area can be tarped while the rest of the tear off proceeds.

So you see, it may not be ideal to tear off in the rain but it's better than no tear off at all so long as the crew is mindful. A garage is usually no big deal anyway and mostly you are lucky to get a crew working promplty, I would say. Additionally most contractors keep a keen eye on the weather since they don't have the luxury of waiting around for conditions to improve.

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
Dan

You're getting it.

I have watched two guys standing on that roof for three days now.

And, finally today they tore off IN THE RAIN when they could have tiled over it the first day when it wasn't raining. It was a two hour job that has run three days now.

They waited until the rain started and some jackass in a pickup came by telling them to do the job (no doubt the license holder telling the two min wagers to wreck the house by doing the job.)

An honest contractor would have blue tarped it until good weather.

I will find out how much this crew got out of the poor owner.

It is sickening.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN