Roofing, Gutter Experts ?

Hi,

I am in the process of getting estimates for replace the roofing on my house. It is a Colonial in the northern NJ area. I would appreciate any advice on what I should be on the look out for.

I was recommended GAF shingles. It is being done by a GAF Master Elite installer.

The guy said it makes sense to replace the gutters too as the edge of the roof get covered better if the roof is done without the gutter and the gutter is installed subsequently. He said that the existing gutter was damaged by the gutter cleaning guys. He recommended LeafProof Aluminum gutter system.

We were adviced to replace our 24 yr old attic fan with a MasterFlow Power roof vent. Anyone with any experience with these?

I also wonder if I should get Soffit vents ? How would the pricing be?

Thanks for any input, as I a total novice at this.

CTMax

Ventilitaion is very important but try to avoid the fan. If you don't have a ridgevent get one put in. That means they saw off some plywood at the peaks and install a vent that they then nail shingles on. Add the soffit vents if you don't have any other wise where are you going to get the cool air from. There are books at Lowes and HOme Depot to help calculate attic ventilation. If you have enuf with these improvemnts without the fan, plug the fan hole and forget the fan. They suck ac air out of the house.

Reply to
Art

Comments inserted

If the so called Master Installer is telling you the roof gets covered better when the gutter is off, get that bum outta there. Tell the smuck to take his open book testing certificate and come back when he knows how to install a roof. This has to be one of the most outrageous claims I've ever heard of. Give him the boot without a second thought. Gutters take a lot of abuse from hail etc, if the gutters are not leaking, chances are he is giving you a poor sales tactic to increase his revenue. Get some other estimates from several contractors, preferably ones that don't speak with a forked tongue.

Read up on ventilation techniques b/4 making any decision on power vents. Power vents don't work in cold weather, you need ventilation year round.

Reply to
Bulky