Roofing cement spilled in well

My ex had someone grading around her yard, they guy hit her well head with his bucket and he tried to seal a crack or something with some roofing cement/tar ?

Anyway she said was getting black stuff out her taps and greasy feeling water.

After describing the ordeal sound like could not have been very much was used , but was wondering how this will affect the well ?

Can this small amount ever be cleaned out, and chemical I could use to better disolve and pump out the well a few times ?

I think is also on the hot water tank, can it just be drained ?

What about pipes in the house, would ever be able to flush out if run a lot of clean water through?

Or is she screwed ?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
MC

Before reading my answer understand that I have little clue.

I would not think that roofing cement (either the plastic/gray kind or the asphaltic/black kind) would dissolve in water. My experience is that especially when cooled, as it would be in water at the bottom of a well, the stuff sort of stays in its pasty form. Sounds more like used motor oil.

Reply to
roger61611

If ai ever heard a legitimate case for a lawsuit, this is one. First the idiot slams into the well with a piece of heavy equipment. Cracks the well casing, which at that point is probably $1000 to $2000 damage to replace, because roofing tar is NOT going to keep groundwater from seeping into the well, and the well will be contaminated with surface water and surface bacteria, etc. Then the idiot tries to solve the problem with a $5 worth of roofing cement, and spills it in the well, which then contaminates the entire well.with a toxic substance. Now the damages require complete well replacement, along with possibly the entire plumbing system, how water tank, etc. So instead of paying to repair the well, this idiot costs the homeowner anywhere from $15,000 up to possibly as much as $50,000 to replace the entire well, pump, and plumbing system.

Don't drink that water, start buying bottled water and save the receipts. Then Call a Lawyer !!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Damn :(

I was just considering environmental pollution the other day. My home has the coating of tar around the basement as usual. This tar is leaking into the foundation drains. Also the sand that coming into foundation drain from one side of the house is black and I assume its from tar as well.

this is spitting out black water into backyard where the sump exits, if i disturb the sand in the pipes. Even when I dont, I still know this is contaminating the ground water slowly. And then consider how many houses have tar as waterproofing. Sad.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I got more of an idea what happened, Looks like maybe a vent pipe got broke off and the casing was not damaged as thought. Tried to use this stuff to seal the vent pipe back in place ?

Anyway, The EX just had the county come out and get her hooked up to the count water line, but had to run a pipe 800 feet to the house. Tap fee was

1900.00 and not sure how much for the cost of installing the pipe and hooking up but she is pissed.

Also she was saying that she was told may have to rip out all the plumbing and replace ? (All copper)

She use to be the kind of person that would sue just looking at her wrong (Daddy left her a wad of money, Rich B___H) However I think a freind of a friend was doing the grading work for free so she does not really want to go after him, anyway she can afford it.

I just try to keep her happy for a few more years until not obligated to here anymore so when she asks me for help with these kind of issues I try and help out, She has a much higher paid lawyer than I could ever afford !

Reply to
MC