Roof slate, uses besides roof

Why, you can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl... Or you could wipe the slate clean.... Or take them all to a "friend's" house today and do something 'interesting' for April Fool's Day

Or: Garden border (stuck vertically in the ground or stacked) Pond/waterfall edge decoration Shed/doghouse cladding Write 'wise' or 'funny' or 'homey' sayings on them and sell on eBay Throw in the air as shotgun 'pigeons'

Joe

TomCAt wrote:

Reply to
Joe S

There are people that paint on them (slate takes paint beautifully) and hang them like pictures. Whether you want a couple hundred slate pictures hanging around is another story!

You might want to ask at a roofing supply house. Around here they buy and sell used slate. Obviously it has to be in good condition and there's probably a minimum amount they will buy.

RicodJour

I have a bunch of used roof slates. They are not going up on a roof again.

If they have a sheen on one side, otherwise known as slaty cleavage, you can make a nice mudroom or entryway floor veneer, using cement or backerboard underlay, then thinset cement to adhere them to the base. Also can be used to clad stepping stones in garden, to give a classier look than plain concrete stepping stones.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I have a bunch of used roof slates. They are not going up on a roof again.

What could I use them for around the home, yard, etc. I figured there must be some use.

Any creative minds out there?

Reply to
TomCAt

I love that movie!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Painted roof-slates sell on ebay for around $7.00 each. Alternatively, if they're in half-decent shape,

buy them, although not for very much, I suspect.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Roofers charge 15-30 a slate uninstaled, if your roof is slate keep them, hail nocked out alot of mine. Or sell them for a good price localy.

Reply to
m Ransley

I recall reading in the slate roof bible that the smart thing to do is to dig a hole by the house, put them in, and bury them, then go up into your attick and write the location of the burial in a few different locations. After a storm or careless repairman ruins a few slates and you're desperately looking for matching slate, you'll be exstatic that you had the foresight to do this.

Otherwise, call around for a few slate roofers and ask if they want 'em. I understand that they're usually willing to gather them up for homes where the previous owner didn't have the above foresight.

Failing that: e-bay baby.

John

Reply to
raven

That's about how much I paid for one in New Orleans. It has a postcard scene of the old Cafe du Monde pasted to the slate, two small holes drilled in the top and a thin leather thong passed through and knotted for hanging. It says its a roofing slate 175 yr old from the Vieux Carre.

I have a slate roof so it's kind of cute in my house.

Curly Sue