Roof Shingles And Underneath Rubberized Layer ?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
Live in Mass., so snow and ice in the winter is a big concern.
Will be having our roof shingles replaced.
It was suggested, strongly, that I insist on having them use, also, a rubberized sheet layer called "Shield"
Questions:
a. What brands of this type of item are considered the "best" ?
b. How thick ?
c. How far up the roof; e.g. 6 feet usually adequate ? The whole roof ?
d. Do they also use the typical "felt" layer underneath this rubberized sheet ?
Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 9:18:55 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:

I don't remember which product was used on my roof. It wasn't the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. But then I had no water barrier product like that for the prior 30 years and no ice damming ever, I live in NJ.

Current national building code, that most places follow, require it to extend up the roof from the lowest point to 2 ft past the heated living space. So, if you have a 2 ft soffit overhang at the bottom of the roof and then a wall where the living space starts, the barrier would extend 4 ft up the roof. The thinking is that's where ice damming can occur, with water backing up under the shingles.

No, it's used instead of felt or similar. It has a sticky backing, covered with paper, that gets peeled off. It then immediately sticks to the sheathing. And it's gooey, flexible enough that it will seal around the shingle nails. Felt is used the rest of the way up. If you want better protection for the whole roof, there are products that are impervious to water, tough, that can be used. They cost more than felt, but offer much better protection if shingles get blown off.
When getting the roof done, I'd make sure you have correct, adequate venting, both at the soffits and the peaks. Most building experts now agree that continuous ridge and soffit venting works best. Easy to do that right when doing the roof and it's important. For a ridge vent, I'd go with one like Air Vent Shingle Vent II, that's what I used.
Bob wrote:

i think this is now pretty standard treatment and should be normal up past the eaves where ice dams are likely to happen. 5-6ft would probably do.
some roofers will give you extra options for making this even better (ours cost an extra $300, but added another 15yrs to the warrantee).
considering the expense it is probably well worth it. had our roof been done correctly the first time the amount of decking and labor costs we had to cover this time around could have easily been offset by the better protection.
the same applies to type of shingles. always get the better ones (several layers thick) and always check references and get multiple quotes. go look at some of their jobs. some roofers are messy and leave poor edges, etc. check BBB too.
we had a wide range of quotes and some were outrageous (3x more!).
songbird

I had my roof re shingled last summer. I was given the option of a different underlayment and a few other things. For about $ 300 or so it jumped the wrrenty up to 50 years. Should be good for my lifetime.
There did seem to be a wide range of charges. I used the Home Advisor on the internet (as seen on TV) and with in 2 or 3 hours I got calls from 4 places so told them to come out, at different times. Got the quotes and it was from a low of about $ 6500 to about $ 18,000 for a bout 27 squares. I think I went with one that was the second lowest as it was still under $ 7000 and the company had been around for a good number of years.
About 6 or 8 Mexicans showed up at the day and time they were suspose to and worked all day and seemed to do a good job. We have had lots of wind and sofar no shingle has blown off.
Ralph Mowery wrote: ...

sounds about the same.

we had a small tornado go through a few summers ago. not a single leak and no shingles moved.
took two neighbors garages off and did some damage to the house behind us and others down the road and such, but luckily we were off to the side of it by a few hundred yards.
not every day you look out your window and see a garage missing...
songbird
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 6:46:37 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Is there a reason you mention that they were Mexican?
On 4/18/2016 8:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is there a reason you asked about the Mexicans?
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:44:39 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes. I'm curious if he would have said "6 or 8 Italians showed up" or "2 French guys, a Pollack, and 3 Canadians showed up" or "An African, a Jew, 3 Arabs and guy from Wisconsin showed up"
Just curious as to why he felt the need to tell us the nationality of the workers.
(Don't worry...I haven't forgotten that you have done similar things in the past)
On 4/18/2016 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm remembering watching All In The Family, decades ago, and Archie Bunker comments on an election. Been a long time, but his comment was some thing like "Now, there's a balanced ticket. A wop, a Jew, and a regular American."
As a group, Mexicans can be excellent roofers. More so than eskimos, for example. I think the ethnicity factor can be interesting to read.
BTW, do you support diversity?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 7:03:46 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Even though my original question was directed towards Ralph, I was polite enough to answer your follow-up. Please return the favor and answer a question from me:
Is there a reason you asked if I support diversity?
On 4/19/2016 8:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, I might be just wanting to get to know you better. OTOH, I may be baiting you into a trap. Mostly curious if you're progressive, or conservative.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 9:13:59 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why didn't you change the subject line?
On 4/19/2016 9:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You know, I thought of that about a second after I clicked send. Sorry about that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I mentioned Mexicans because they showed up on time and did a good job of it. I believe in giving credit to the workers.
When my dad died I had a realitor sell the house. They asked me if it made a difference to me about the people. I told them the only color I was interisted in was green.
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 11:37:08 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I'll ask again: Is there a reason you mentioned that they were Mexican?

What difference does the nationality of the workers make? Were you giving credit to the workers or to Mexicans? Were you surprised that a bunch of Mexicans showed up on time and did a good job? I still don't see the reason for mentioning their nationality.
Why didn't you just say:
"6 - 8 workers showed up on time and did a good job of it. I have to give them credit."

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 12:56:55 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, I think it is a good idea to see what's going on around you. With the huge influx of illegals here, some towns have gone from hardly a Mexican in sight, to having a large population to the point that you see mostly Mexicans walking the streets. If you suddenly start seeing jobs that were done 20 years ago by workers that were more representative of the general population, the citizens, to one where they are almost all Mexicans, likely illegal, maybe it's time to figure out that something is wrong, immigration laws aren't being enforced, etc. Isn't it reasonable to look at a Mexican roofing crew and say, gee, those could be American workers? Twenty years ago, they were American workers. And don't tell us that it's not likely that the workers are illegal, with 11 to 30 mil here, they are obviously working and we all know what's really going on.
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:22:51 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

You are mixing up 2 totally different situations. AFAICT Ralph's comment had nothing to do with illegal workers or American jobs being taken by immigrants (legal or illegal) or him not being aware of what's going on around him. He certainly didn't sound pissed that the workers weren't American. In fact, he noted he was pleased by their work ethic and the job that they did.
Nothing you say about our immigration laws is wrong but when someone does something for you or you pay for a service do you say things like...?
"I was in a restaurant and a Polish waitress came to my table." "My transmission went bad and a French guy fixed it." "I was in the grocery store and the Italian lady rang up my items."
The subject of the thread was about different types of roofing materials. Ralph mentioned Home Advisor, various quotes, length of warranties, types of materials and, oh yeah, Mexicans.
The nationality of the workers is irrelevant to the subject being discussed, as it usually is in cases like this.
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 2:00:54 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, the first question would be was it a Polish restaurant? If so they it's nothing worth noting. If it's not a Polish restaurant, and all the workers are Polish, then sure, I'd notice it and might include it in my remarks about my experience there. Currently, AFAIK, we don't have a problem with illegal Polish people or French people overrunning the country. For example, that isn't a topic of the presidential campaign, is it? But Mexican illegals, how they are taking jobs, what to do about it is very much a hot topic. So, I don't see anything wrong with saying that the roofing crew was Mexican.

So comments not directly relevant to the subject aren't allowed? That would reduce what gets posted here by 90%.
DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

i should have mentioned that the guys who worked on our roof were all fairly younger white guys, most smoked, one was stupid enough to smoke weed (i smelled it) and the crew foreman didn't notice or didn't care. i didn't say anything either. as long as nobody fell off the roof...
i think it would be a tough job to do that all season. at least they didn't have to carry stuff up ladders. a hi-low came with the truck and set the stuff right on the roof.
songbird
On 4/19/2016 6:52 AM, songbird wrote:

I've carried shingles to a single story roof; that's a lot of work, for sure.
You might have called the cops on that MJ smoker. That's rather unsafe to be doing roof work while stoned. Smoking is also unwise. Carbon monoxide, and risk of starting a fire.
--
.
Christopher A. Young