roof shingle missing?

Ok, this has probably been asked a thousand times...

I put the dog out this morningm and found a roof shingle (asphalt) on the ground.... I looked at the roof with binoculars, and found the gap, it was sheared off flush with the next row above it; I could see the seam and roofing nails that had been covered. So.... will the roof leak? do I have to fix it?

the roof is 16 years old, and the shingles are "Bird Windseal 80"

I suspect I am getting near a re-roof job, which I dread, as this roof is massive...

Thoughts?

Reply to
no1herenow

Wait for the next rain to see if it leaks OR wait until a lot more blow off and you have to hire the worst contractor around, because he's the only one who isn't busy at that moment OR start calling around now to find a good contractor at a reasonable price who can do it when he isn't swamped.

Reply to
Bob

If you're reasonably handy, you can replace the shingle yourself. I'm sure you can find details on how to do it on the web. Or else hire someone to do it. If the rest of the roof still has some life left in it, just fixing this is cheap and easy. Either way, I wouldn't wait to see if it leaks, unless you want the expense of repairing water damage to ceilings, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Yea it sounds like you are coming up on a new roof. It may be a few years away. From what you described, assuming there is no other damage, and you don't get some bad winds coming towards that missing shingle, it is not likely to leak. I would suggest that what the others have suggested is try and you should start getting some estimates. If you get yourself a replacement shingle (you will need to buy more than one unless you have a left over or know someone who does, you may be able to replace it yourself or have a roofer in the area do it for you. I once was out running when I noticed a roofer a block away taking a break I asked if he could do it for me. I had the shingle and for one can of soda, I get it fixed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If the tab came from a spot where the underlying shingles butted together at their ends, yes, it'll leak. You can temp over it with a flasher, or a piece of roofing felt. If the tab came from a "better" spot, the fasteners will present a leak problem soon. Piece 'o cake to fix, usually. Tom

Reply to
tom

Roofing tar can help the repair.

Reply to
bud smith

I would look at metal roofs when you are ready to replace your present roof. Depending on the style of your house and how long you plan to remain living there, metal provides many more years of roof protection than shingles. Don't know how much extra it costs, but wish we had put on a steel roof several years ago when we replaced our cedar shake roof with asphalt shingles. Steel roofs were very rare on residential homes at that time and couldn't find a contractor who was interested experienced with steel roofs who was interested in residential jobs. A house down the street went with steel a few years ago and it looks real nice. Rick

Reply to
Rick Shaw

steel roofs can be noisey in rain and ice storms. steel costs much more.

regular shingles can be bought with as much as a 50 year guarantee

copper lasts over a 100 years, but costs a fortune.

if you ever sell looking different may cause troubles, so regular shingles may be the best overall value

Reply to
hallerb

Had a roofer out yesterday... Yes... can find shingles that have a 40 yr warranty+....

(as an aside, I would kill for a slate roof, but >>$100K is a little rough ;-)

Since I am moving in less than a year..... looks like a proper shingle repair is what I will do...

Thanks,

--Paul

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to