Roof runoff overshooting gutters

I have 5 inch "K-style" vinyl gutters on our house. To keep leaves and fir needles out of the gutters, I have vinyl screens covering the top of the gutters. They generally work well, except on the front and back of the house where the roof valley's are.

The valley's channel a larger volume of water into one spot, and in some of the significant rain storms, there's so much flow it overflows the gutter at the point going all over the yard and down the side of the house.

To make matters worse, the valley's also collect larger amounts of fir needles which get washed down and pile up on top of the gutter screen. This basically builds a ramp for the water to come down the valley and straight over the top of the gutter.

I could probably remove the gutter screen in that spot and collect more water, but it would also allow debris to get in and clog up the gutters.

Any tips on what I can do to solve the problem? (Replacing the gutters is not an option at this point).

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Well, if you don't have enough surface area open to collect the water and don't make such area available in one form or another, there isn't much of a solution available....

Given the constraint, only thing I can think of that might help some would be to install a vertical dam in the corner at the valley. The make these preformed for the purpose. But, unless there's somewhere for the water to get into the gutter, you'll simply see it run over around the dam ends instead of directly over the top at the corner.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Install a piece of aluminium on the outer lip of the gutter, a simple fix, done all the time. Tom

Reply to
tom

Before you head off to HoDePo better be sure that your gutter isn't plugged and just over flowing, or that your shield isn't covered with crap and just sheeting off the water. You gotta get up there and look DOWN at the problem.

Reply to
Blue

Anthony My father's house had the same issue. When it rained hard, the water would flow down the 'valley' and totally overshoot the gutter. It was like having a firehose squirting water on the porch. What we did was to take a chunk of aluminum sheet (old snow shovel) and cut it into a rectangle about

12 inches by 6 inches. We then made a 3 inch cut (to the center) right at the half way point of the 12 inch side. We folded it 90 degrees along the 12 inch axis, and then on the 'outside' of the "L" shape, we then created 3 inch flanges at 90 degrees as well. This gave us an "L" shaped piece of metal, with 6 inch sides and a three inch flange to insert underneath the shingles. We got some roofing tar and cemented the thing in place. When it rained after than, the water would hit the upright three inch flange and be redirected 90 degrees. This allowed the gutters to work properly and we had no more problems.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Neilson