Roof ridge vent

Anyone had a roof installed recently with a ridge vent? I'm having mine replaced and they say so-and-so many feet of a ridge vent is as good as, if not better than, an attic fan! Really?? Anyone had personal experience with this wonder-technology? I'm just afraid some animal will find that an easy entrance into my attic...