Roof replacement in Calif

Would appreciate some advice from folks in Calif who have had a re-roof job done recently.

Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape. Current roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote, standard middle of the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top dollar -- $15K. I nearly dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this week for estimates.

About 5 years ago, I was in NC and arranged for a re-roofing for a 2500 sf house, also single story, middle of the road 30-year asphalt -- $5K. I got 3 others estimates, all around $5K.

I have not priced out materials in Calif and NC, but am wondering if there are some weird codes in Calif that drive the costs up. Could be the difference in labor charges, but the fact is that the roofers here all use undocumented workers. I've got a photo of the house across the street with 15 workers on the roof at one time (1500 sf), plus others on the ground. They hardly had room to walk without bumping into each other.

Anyway, I'm looking at pricing materials brought in from out state if it's legal and possibly flying out a couple of guys from NC.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Would appreciate some advice from folks in Calif who have had a re-roof job done recently.

[...]

I doubt you could do any beter by being in NC. I just had a house reshingled this summer that was estimated from 26 to 28 squares.

The price from 4 places was about $ 6500 to $ 7000 for the two lowest. The next one was $ $ 11,000 and Sears was $ 17,000.

About 8 men showed up, tore off the old roof and put on the new one. Their leader did not speak very good english, not sure if the others spoke any English at all. The fellow that did the estimating was about 30 years old and was from the US. Not surfe if I went with the lowest or next to the lowest, but got one that had a very long warrenty. I went to Home Advisor on the internet and had 4 companies to call me within 3 hours or less.

I looked on the shingle package and it stated so many nails for such a pitch. They put in the maximum of nails that was listed, I think one more than the package required for the pitch I have.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I had mine done last summer. It was $100/sf to tear off the old, $110/sf for shingles (mid-grade) and another $100/sf to install...so here your new roof would cost $4650.

I didn't need any new plywood roof decking but that had a fixed price of $100/sf as well.

Reply to
doug

I think you are mixing up square feet and squares which is 100 square feet.

I did not need any wood for the roof, but was told 3 sheets would be free and so much for each extra. I did have a good grade of shingles and a couple hundred more for a beter underlaying. All so a ridge vent was installed. Roof is covered for 50 years and 15 years at up to 130 mph wind. Should not see that kind of wind unless a toranado comes up as I am about

200 miles from the east coast.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I just sit back and smile when you talk about reroofing. Our roof is metal rolled steel ceramic coated tiles. 50 year transferable warranty. In Europe this system is known to last more than 100 years. Done by guys from Ukraine who have good experience with this system.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

+1

I've seen that as a typical quote here in NJ too. I think it was $50 a sheet for extra plywood, which includes labor.

Reply to
trader_4

What did the guy across the street pay, that's the first thing to check on?....

Reply to
hrhofmann

The El Nino is coming. And if radio ads are to be believed there'll be a shortage of materials and crews.

The astronomical real estate prices put upward pressure on all prices and make large numbers seem normal.

Fake ID

Do it yourself. The only cost will be the shingles and the nails or staples, plus any flashing needed. Or put on a metal roof (much better).

Reply to
RealPerson

For 15K$, you could get a couple of first-class roofers to do the job, flying them in from anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann