Roof repair

Today we had a bad wind storm and a large stick hit my roof. It appears that only one shingle (asphalt) is damaged. Is it possible to replace one shingle? Or should I just get some roof putty and repair the one shingle?
Many thanks
The trees help in the process because they block out the sunlight. It is a common problem here in the Pacific Northwest. I asked someone once what to do about it and they recommended zinc strips. Zinc is a growth inhibitor for moss mold. I took my life in my hands (I have a very steep, high roof) and put zinc strips along both sides of the entire length of my house. One year later the moss had stopped growing but only near the zinc strips. I then went to a roofing company and asked them what they used. They sold me a product that has powdered zinc in it and comes in a can that looks like an over sized container of parmesan cheese. You take a couple of cans up on the roof and sprinkle their contents along the peak of the roof. The first rain will wash the powder down the length of the entire roof. You can also sprinkle it all over if you want or hose it down. The stuff works great. You still have to apply it every couple of years or so. I think it is called something like Moss-Off or Moss-Kill. You don't want the stuff for the lawn, it should say for use on roofs.

Larry Sams wrote:

It seems cc0112453 posted a response to the wrong original message. His suggestions are good if you also have moss on your roof.
Yes you can replace a single shingle. I suggest that over roof cement. Cement will not last as long or look as good as a replacement shingle. The last time I needed one replaced, I decided I did not really enjoy getting on roofs any more. I had bought a few replacement shingles and I happened on a supervisor for a local roofing company on his lunch hour in his truck a block away. I asked him to take a look. I supplied a couple cans of cold pop and he did the work for free. By the time I had the pop, he was climbing down off the roof.
How old is your roof? What is the condition? If it is about that time, you may want to just do the quick patch and plan on replacement next summer.
You may want to check your insurance as well. Damage may be covered. Of course it may not be worth the bother.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math