Roof question

I have a flat Rubber Roof. It has some cracks & needs a coating.

1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00 I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00 Who do i trust ? Which is better ?

Reply to
desgnr

Check with the manufacturer of the roof to see if either of those materials is compatible with the roof material. If it is truly a single ply 'rubber' roof, it can be destroyed by some materials. U.S. Navy had several problem roofs resulting from 'patching' with incompatible material. T T

Reply to
tbasc

If it's a Firestone rubber roof, the proper fix is a piece of rubber applied with a special cement over the crack/hole. Very much like patching an innertube. In fact the rubber looks like a big sheet of innertube material.

Reply to
KC

Any idea who made the rubber roof? They should know what is appropriate for coating, assuming it can be coated without destroying it. I'm no roofer, but I don't think you put hot mop over membrane roofing. The few cases I actually saw in person were done with something blue and rubbery-smelling.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

"desgnr" wrote in news:h06u15$30ne$1 @adenine.netfront.net:

Must have some left over from a mobile home job?

Reply to
Red Green

So the coating is cracked not the rubber? 500$ for silver paint is way overpriced if you can do hot tar at 250, Hot Tar isnt needed for rubber. If you can do real Hot Tar for 250 silver paint should be 100. What sq ft is it, does it leak.

Reply to
ransley

So the coating is cracked not the rubber? 500$ for silver paint is way overpriced if you can do hot tar at 250, Hot Tar isnt needed for rubber. If you can do real Hot Tar for 250 silver paint should be 100. What sq ft is it, does it leak.

Reply to
desgnr

If coating is cracked just recoat with the silver stuff, but its about

3 hrs work, hardly worth 500. I just had a guy put the stuff on for 100 as he was doing other work.
Reply to
ransley

Have a look at this webpage. Scroll down to the botttom. If you know for sure you have a "rubber" roof, selcect EPDM/Hypalon from the drop down menu.

This will give you a list of appropriate coatings. Henry's is a reputable company that makes good products. They can be bought in 1's or 5 gallon pails at Home Depot/ Lowes etc in the "roofing" section. Many can be "rolled" right onto your existing roof with a large roller (available in the same area at HD) just like "paint", especially the white "rubber" roof coating types. They ve been applied by tens of thousands of homeowners in hot climates like AZ and FL.

These coatings are good for sealing "cracks".

Try and follow this previous advice if you can find out who made the membrane. My inlaws place had a EPDM (white rubber roof, made of 3-4 thin layers of rubber ) membrane made by tire MFG "Firestone" on their place. It is often used for mobile home or RV roofs.

Reply to
Rudy