Roof Problem - Major or Minor Problem?

Greetings,

Help! What's wrong with this roof? We are considering buying a house that is 6 years old. We have through Monday to make our decision. The house is in perfect condition.. except for the roof. There are no leaks/moisture spots in the house. There are no leaks visible in the attic.

PROBLEM: Quite a few shingles are slightly raised. Not buckled, or warped, just raised slightly --at random-- primarily over the west side

of the roof. One area of the roof appears wavy. Almost all the aluminum

drip caps --where they overlay the other drip caps-- are raised by 1/4 inch. The drip cap ends are raised enough to start making inverted "v" indentations in the shingles above them. None of the other roofs in the same neighborhood --the houses were all built at the same time-- have the same problem. All their shigles are flat and their drip caps are not raised.

There is a bonus room built in the attic and I am wondering if there isn't enough ventilation.

Thanks!

Reply to
Patrick

Patrick,

Seems to me a qualified home inspector is in order.

Reply to
G Henslee

A photo would help but with a finished attic it is a real posibility that there is no roof ventilation or air gap inbetween the roof deck and insulation. My neighbor has a cathedral ceiling their roof that is in direct sun was trash after 7 yrs a 35 yr roof. Soffit vents and ridge vent may or may not help, air still may not circulate. Are any areas in complete shade that are ok. Look into it before you buy . An air gap before the attic insulation was instaled and proper venting would have cured it, if it is a venting air circulation issue. You dont want to pay for a new roof every 10 yrs.

Reply to
m Ransley

(Not the roof expert...)

You could be right about the ventilation issue. This sounds like the roof deck (plywood?) is de-laminating and buckling, perhaps from moisture.

If you really like the house, negotiate with the seller after getting prices from reputable roofers. Have the roofer include a means of remediating the venting problem.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I can see where (starting at the point where the knee wall meets the angled ceiling wall) the angled ceiling sheetrock is supported by the same series of 2x4 (2 x 6?) that are used for the roof support. In other words, there is roofing plywood (on top of supporting stud) roof supporting studs --with insulation between the studs (no air space) sheetrock (on bottom of supporting stud)

Thanks.

Reply to
Patrick

My guess is that the seller will balk at "picking up the tab", as he probably should. I'd advise the seller to add an "AS IS" clause to the contract..

My guess also is that the OP here will NOT be buying this house.

Reply to
PaulJ

I have a cathedral ceiling with inadequate (no) ventilation in hot Houston on the south side of the house. Theres 10 inches of insulation there but no room for air flow from sophit vent to ridge vent due to the insulation completely filling the space.

That part of my roof had massive 20yr shingle failure after 15 years. No buckling of plywood but the shingles were toast ONLY on that side of the roof.

Home depot has these lightweight 2 inch vent panels that lay on the insulation and provide a air flow channel that I wish were up there.....

Reply to
PaulJ

Have a good roofer quote the repairs / new roof and ask the sellers to pick up the tab by putting the money into escrow. This way you have control over the roofing process not the seller who will be long gone as well as the roofer if there are problems later...Good luck in your new home, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I think most follow-up post are correct...sounds like inadequate ventilation. I can't think of any fix for this except for taking out the sheetrock in the cathedral area and reworking the insulation with proper air flow baffles. If indeed it is so bad that the roof decking is delaminating and needs replacing then it would probably be better to re-do the insulation from the top side. A roofer and/or insulation company might have better solutions to offer.

However, the house is only 6 years old? I wonder if the original contractor could be held responsible for this. I'm pretty sure that insulating without adequate airspace is a code violation. A couple of years ago I repaired a rotten wooden chimney that had rotted because of improper flashing and Centex (the homebuilder) paid for the repairs which totaled about $750.

Reply to
John/Charleston

If it is venting gutting the attic may be necessary to add air space at the roof deck, Major job. Dont buy any house before you get an inspector out, one that has proper insurance.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm not a roofer either, but I go along with the idea that the roof sheets are deteriorating for whatever reason and will likely have to be replaced. You may get away with just redoing the West side, so just figure a that into your purchase costs.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon