Roof patching cement

We are doing some work on brick wall above a roof. For safety will have to nail some foam and 2x4 framing to the roof. Roof is fiberglass shingles. Wondering what would be the best way to patch holes when done. Will try to lift shingles to nail under them but roof has been up many years so pessimistic about that being possible.

Reply to
Art Begun

Hi,

My oil furnace exhaust travels about six feet through a typical metal furnace exhaust pipe and exhausts into a dedicated flue in my brick chimney - all of this in my basement. Just recently, the mortar/whatever that surrounds the junction of the pipe and chimney has broke away. This is obviously dangerous due to the potential for escape of CO gas into the house as well as other dangers. Additionally one cut brick fell out of place making the exposed opening large enough at one point to put your fist through.

I've done a number of google searches but haven't really found any similar problems/solutions. (Although there have been lots of discussions of chimney/brick/mortar condition and deterioration.)

Question: Is replacing the mortar and resealing this junction a DIY job? Or is this strictly something that should be left to a professional?

I'm comfortable with the rebuild but not if there are unknown safety hazards that, as a layman, I'm unaware of.

Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
m-carlson

There is asphalt caulking you can use. My first choice would be to avoid piercing the shingles, though.

Reply to
Phisherman

Matt,

Seal the hole. Make sure there's no water getting into it to couse further damage. Things fall apart with age.

Make sure there's no holes or esacaping fumes coming out of the vent pipe and mortar.

Put an electric powered CO detector in the space near the furnace. If it goes off, get out of the house and call for help. Leave the doors and windows open to clear the air.

Have a pro inspect it if you like. Not a bad idea. Codes change and thinges are made more strict and safer for us end users. It's a good thing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.

Thanks Dave!