Roof, Paint, Gutters Questions

Hi

I own a Ranch style home on the SF Peninsula

The home was built in 1954. The roof is comp shingles and since it's a ranch style home the roof doesn't have much of a pitch.

I need a new roof and plan on starting to get some estimates.

I plan on painting the home afterward.

I have two questions.

# 1 What material should the gutters be? Does it make sense to get white pvc, I will never have to worry about them rusting or painting them.

#2 When should I have the gutters installed before or after painting. I was thinking that when they paint the eves that they will spray the eves and there will be overspray all over the backside of the gutters? The rest of the home I plan to roll.

Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

"Tube Audio" wrote in news:7GE7k.9680$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

Copper is the best, but you'll need another mortgage.

Seriously, stay away from the plastic gutters. Hail shatters them. They get brittle as the plastic ages (UV light, you know), and the wind will break them. They'll also shrink and come apart at the joints. Oh yeah-- the joints have rubber gaskets that fail.

Get aluminum gutters factory-painted they color you want. Get the seamless gutters. A truck will bend them from flat sheet metal in your driveway. No leaks. Pay for the oversized downspouts; they don't plug up as easily.

Put on the gutters last. It's good to have the fascia painted. That's hard to do when the gutters cover it.

Reply to
Steve

I second the recomendation agains PVC gutters. The gutters seem cheap but they get you on all the joints and other details. And they are ugly when done. Did it once.... big mistake.

If you have a lot of leaves and crap falling in gutters, consider Leafguard gutters. They work for hard woods and pine. Mine have been up 10 years and are perfectly clean. Expensive though.

Reply to
Art

Second the suggestion on pre-painted, aluminum gutters. Get them from a gutter company that can make them the exact lengths, on site, with no seams.

Paint first - that way you can get a good coat on the areas the gutters will cover.

If you haven't settled on a color for house painting yet, consider getting a can of spray paint in a color you like and have the house paint mixed to match. Having a can or two of spray paint to touch-up things is double-handy. In my case, I was even able to match the gutters!

I used Rustoleum "Camouflage" as the base color. It has the advantage of strangers not being able to see my house from the street.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have always tried to figure out how the got all those colors into one can. Looks good though.

Reply to
Chuck