Roof Overhang Above A Patio Door

We have an exposed to weather sliding glass door on back of home. We originally bought a cheaper Home Depot awning to protect it from weather and provide a little shade. This awning didnt last long with snow and weather, as you can see from the picture's below ;^)

I would like to replace it with a wood and shingle one but would really like to have some basic plans. Im pretty handy, having build a nice shed this past year, but it had plans. Im guessing an overhang, no matter how small, can be tricky. Any plans out there or tips?

Want it to replicate the awning specs which were pretty basic:

About 9 ft wide, hanging out 40" and dropping about 10" overt han 40" overhang.

Posted this at another forum with no results but the pictures are there:

roland.case

I'm no construction mavin, but I'd be suprised if you could attach to the house any solid structure that large which could safely hold even its own weight (leave alone the snow) without using some support posts near the outboard ends.

Unless maybe you tore the house apart and installed some long girders sticking out from the inside. (Just kidding...)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Replace that unit with an aluminum awning.

Oren

If the aluminum awning mentioned above doesn't suit your needs, then you really should hire an architect, designer, whatever, to do a set of plans, You will need these for the permits, etc., because the project is extensive enough to require meeting codes and the like in most communities. Given the scope of the work, it may be beyond a DIY job and need to have bids and such for you to consider. Sketch some porticos that would work and show those to the expert involved in the plans. Done right it will be a really pleasant addition to your house.

Joe

Reply to
Joe