Roof leaking, need repair service

Hi,

My roof started leaking one week ago, and we asked the guy who fixed the roof before and he can't find where the leak comes from (the guy is pretty honest and nice, but he seems to only know how to install it, doesn't know how to troubleshoot it).

Can somebody suggest what should I do, can you please recommend some service that can help identify the problem then fix it? I am living in Bellevue, WA area.

Thanks, Min

Reply to
Hilbert

May want to give him a garden hose, flood the roof at ever-increasing heights, try to see when the leak starts.

*should*, however, be able to detect from visual dry inspection. Chimney crickets, tho, are notorious for leaking w/o a clear reason--proly down the side of the chimney inside the tar/paper.
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Hilbert" wrote in news:1163656137.665764.209780 @k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Frequent problem areas are chimney flashing, vent stack flashing or any flashing, etc. Other things might be anywhere on the roof where a nail or staple is.

If YOU personally are able to go into the attic area, go up while it's raining with a bright light. Go vertically above where it comes in and hits the ceiling. Look for a water trail going up the roof pitch and follow it. Water can run along underside of sheathing, along trusses, wiring, anything.

Could be as simple as a staple/nail pop, stack boot flashing nails need a dab of roofing cement. Could be chimney flashing is so bad it needs replacement. Ya just gotta get up there and look.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I would have to disagree with you, on the point the guy knows how to install a roof.

I was in the construction trades for 24+ years, if you don't know where the critical areas are, you're not going to install/fabricate correctly.

In my area, there is a small local paper put out, where most advertisers are local. There are some that make their living, from others mistakes. Some advertising roofing, are small time operators, which really know their stuff.

Find a roofer with a brake, not that they'll need it for your project, but real roofers have a brake to bend and fabricate their own flashing. If they don't have a brake, they don't specialize in roofing. They can say they do, but it's a must have tool of the trade, unless someone just does areas without junctures/chimneys.

Do expect to pay someone to find the leak. It may cost more to find, than to actually fix it.

Reply to
Tall One