roof hurricane clips

Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold my house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane clips. I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em now. If it doesn't, are these things things that can be installed at this point without it being a major thing?
RB, There are a lot of different clips with different ratings and applications. Look at Simpson Strong Tie web site.
As w_tom notes, any location subject to high winds requires a system that carries the uplift loads from roof to foundation. To be of any real use, an engineer familiar with residential framing should look at the existing conditions and make recommendations.
TB
Happens my house is an older one, and, as such, I doubt it has the clips or tie-downs. The newer ones have to have 'em to be IAW code.
Depends on location. Hurricane clips for homes in NC and south require extensive access to both roof joists and side walls. Hurricane clips farther north can be applied if simple access is available where roof meets 2x4 plate. Access simply through soffit.
However some shore communities even north of NC now require second floor wall studs be strapped to first floor studs. Sounds like your community does not have this requirement.
RB wrote:

Only if his house does not already have them. He doesn't know if his house has them. Also, his house may be older than any code requiring them.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:08:06 -0500, "Mike Dobony"

My house was built in 1963 and it has a poured tie beam with embedded straps that wrap over the trusses so age alone may not be the determining factor. They are actually thicker metal than the current So Fla code HETA-20 Simpson strap..
RB wrote:

Hurricane straps for the roof / wall connections are fairly easy to install if you are re-roofing. It isn't impossible to install them without removing the roof sheating, but it is a lot more difficult and therefore, a lot more expensive.
If you have a gable-end roof don't forget the gable-end bracing.
More information here: http://www.blueprintforsafety.org/windretrofit/windretrofit03.html

I had an addition built and they put hurricane ties in from the inside prior to sheetrocking.
Jim Tiberio wrote:

That's a good solution too. But in a retrofit probably more costly than removing the roof sheathing, unless of course you just had a new roof installed.....