roof hurricane clips

RB, There are a lot of different clips with different ratings and applications. Look at Simpson Strong Tie web site.

As w_tom notes, any location subject to high winds requires a system that carries the uplift loads from roof to foundation. To be of any real use, an engineer familiar with residential framing should look at the existing conditions and make recommendations.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold my house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane clips. I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em now. If it doesn't, are these things things that can be installed at this point without it being a major thing?

Reply to
RB

I had an addition built and they put hurricane ties in from the inside prior to sheetrocking.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Depends on location. Hurricane clips for homes in NC and south require extensive access to both roof joists and side walls. Hurricane clips farther north can be applied if simple access is available where roof meets 2x4 plate. Access simply through soffit.

However some shore communities even north of NC now require sec> Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold

Reply to
w_tom

Hurricane straps for the roof / wall connections are fairly easy to install if you are re-roofing. It isn't impossible to install them without removing the roof sheating, but it is a lot more difficult and therefore, a lot more expensive.

If you have a gable-end roof don't forget the gable-end bracing.

More information here:

Travis Jordan

Happens my house is an older one, and, as such, I doubt it has the clips or tie-downs. The newer ones have to have 'em to be IAW code.

Reply to
RB

That's a good solution too. But in a retrofit probably more costly than removing the roof sheathing, unless of course you just had a new roof installed.....

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Only if his house does not already have them. He doesn't know if his house has them. Also, his house may be older than any code requiring them.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

My house was built in 1963 and it has a poured tie beam with embedded straps that wrap over the trusses so age alone may not be the determining factor. They are actually thicker metal than the current So Fla code HETA-20 Simpson strap..

Reply to
gfretwell