Roof Hatch

I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I use? Thanx.

Most of these are usually covered with metal or roof shingles. Paint won't hold up and you'd be repainting it way more than you will like.
You might want to look for a prefabricated one. While it might seem more expensive than building one from scratch it will save you in the long run.

Is this in the house or a shed? If house water damage is a concern you might also look at one of the openable skylights. I believe some of those will allow a full open.
If building one, you might try a local sheet metal or HVAC contractor. Either might bend up a galvanized cap similar to that used on top of framed fireplace caps.
RonB

Or even better, metal one that you can just buy already made.

Paint is fine for most applications -- but not a roof hatch that would be exposed to the weather 24/7...
Consider wrapping the parts of the hatch that will be exposed to the weather with rubber roofing membrane -- that will remain water proof MUCH longer than painted plywood anything could ever hope...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote the following:

No one has asked, is this to be built on a flat rood or a sloped roof? Where is this roof located, Arizona, New England, Florida? A lot of rain, snow, what?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I didn't figure it mattered for his question. Paint on plywood is not going to hold up on either one.
On 5/4/2011 9:44 PM, Evan wrote:

I put this in the category of reinventing the wheel, when purpose-built products are available. Google 'bilco roof hatch' for a quick example. Up-front costs will be higher, but a quality product that is built to the same standards as, say, a commercial truck bed tool box, will provide many more years of low-upkeep service. And just for giggles, you may want to talk to your insurance agent and/or local code office. A roof hatch, AKA a chimney, may need to meet NFPA standards or something.
--
aem sends....