roof fungus

Anybody know if it's worth getting rid of this stuff? I got a 5 year old roof and I am seeing lichens starting to grow on it.

Ah! Just do like Elton John.......
I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss Well a few of the verses well they've got me quite cross But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song It's for people like you that keep it turned on
Yes get rid of it it will hold water and shorten the life of your roof. Box stores sell a spray liquid that kill moss , the container attaches to your garden hose. A zinc strip at the peak will help as will if possible tree triming.

"WHAT ARE THESE BLACK STREAKS ON MY ROOF?
In most cases, the stains and streaks are a form of algae commonly known as Gloeocapsa Magma. This type of algae thrives in humid and warm climates and usually appears first on the North slope of the roof where shade is prevalent and moisture tends to accumulate.
Algae spores are then carried by the wind until the entire roof is infested. Once attached to a shingled roof, this fungus feeds on the dead organic matter used in the manufacturing process of the asphalt shingle. As the fungus breaks down the asphalt shingle, the ceramic granules protecting the surface of the shingle are loosened and begin to fall off. This causes the roof to deteriorate prematurely and diminishes the roof's abilities to reflect heat rays. If not treated, the roof algae will reduce the life of your roof, diminish your home's curb appeal and increase your home cooling expenses.
You can buy it at: http://www.sprayandforget.com/?OVRAW=brick%2Bcleaner&OVKEY=brick%20cleane r&OVMTC=standard
--
When Replying Remove "thepin" From Return Address

no spam for me wrote:

Yes. Get rid of it, or plan on a new roof sooner than normal.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math