Roof Estimate Help

How does Angies verify that those who rate are customers and not family members of the contractor?

Can you go see some of the homes they did and talk to the owners to be sure they did them?

I borrowed my friend's weedwacker and sort of liked it, so I checked it's ratings in Amazon. Lots of people hated it, but one review explained that that was before they changed a part that wore out quickly, and that's why everyone really likes it now. And I believe it, because my friend's was bought well after the date in question.

But the review was just too precise, hit every note, and I'm pretty sure someone from the company which made it wrote it. Amazon even notes whether the reviewer bought one via Amazon or not, but it would surely be worth buying one for 100 or 200 dollars than counting on volunteers to undo all the bad ratings it had gotten.

So in this case I don't mind a review by the vendor himself, but in just about every other case I would. How do Angies and Yahoo and the other sites that have reviews keep this from happening?

Reply to
micky

I strongly recommend getting at least one more, probably 2 more estimates before signing the contract. For this area, (DC metro) the price seems too low for a quality roofing job that includes removal of the existing roofing and flashing on a full sized house. However, this is a high cost area. Find 2 other roofers that are recommended on Angies list and get their estimates as well. You may have found a bargain, or you may be signing up for trouble. If they are a new company as opposed to one that has been in business in your area for a decade or more, will they still be around in a few years if you need warranty work?

Reply to
Peter

BBB is as useless as most home inspectors -

Reply to
clare

On Monday, July 8, 2013 9:50:32 AM UTC-5, Saif Raza wrote:

eed to get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies List (

7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about roofing and the price seems amazingly cheap compared to what we expected. Could anyone loo k over the estimate and give us some feedback on it? Thank you. Here's the quote: Roofing - Member Discount Removal of all existing roofing and flashi ng membranes. Replacement of following flashing materials: step flashing, c ollars, pipe jacks, perimeter drip edge material. All materials to meet or exceed manufacturer's requirements. Installation of Ice/Watershield Membran e along bottom perimeter of roof and in valley portions of roof.?In stallation of one layer of TARCO 30# asphalt saturated roofing underlayment on deck surface not covered with ice and water protection material. Instal lation of new GAF Timberline Lifetime HD Architectural Shingles will be ins talled in strict accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and shal l be fastened using five nails per shingle. Installation of 5-1/2 inch alum inum drip edge along entire outside perimeter of roof.? Installatio n of GAF Seal-A-Ridge Cap shingles along all hips and ridges. Installation of 12"x4' GAF Cobra ridge vent in areas requiring proper attic ventilation. ?Removal of all debris and general clean-up of construction site on ce substantially completed. *Roof to be installed in strict accordance with manufacturer's specifications; 5 Year Warranty on labor to be provided upo n substantial completion. Angie's List Member Discount 3,600.00 -5.00% *A d eposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion. $3,420.00

The OP said his roof area is 2100 sq feet, that's 30' x 70',more or less. I wonder if he meant the house was 2100 square feet, and being 2 stories the actual roof area would be about 1/2 x 2100 sq feet, plus allowing for what ever slope would increase the actual area it would still come in around 150

0 square feet. The price he was quoted is about what I might expect for 15 00 sq feet.
Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies (including Lowes who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the estimates are in th e range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. I thought the trucks parked ther e were for work being done and when I went over to ask about them, he told me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his job sites and shown me two roofs that he was working on over the weekend in the neighborhood and is of fering $3600 for Atlas Pinnacle Architect Shingles instead of the GAF Timbe rline HD shingles everyone else was offering.

From Consumer Reports, I can't see any significant differences between the two shingles and I think I'm going to choose him since he's a neighbor and was working on roofs a few houses down. Its reassuring to see that other ne ighbors are using him as well.

However, I didn't see any reviews for him on Angie's List. Many of you seem to think it's a crapshoot from Angie's List, so I think I'm not too worrie d about that. His company is J&S Carpentry and his BBB ratings don't show a ny complaints.

Here's his quote would you all mind telling me if you see anything worrisom e in it?

"Remove and replace shingels with Atlas Pinnacle Architect Lifteme LTD Warr anty, Scotch, 30lb Asphalt Felt, White Aluminum Drip Edge, Lomanco Shingle over Ventardige, Reflash Chimney, Remove all trash and debris.Any rotten pl ywood found after old shingles are removed and will be an additional charge of $25 per sheet. - $3600"

Reply to
Saif Raza

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:13:57 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

need to get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate fr om a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about roofing and t he price seems amazingly cheap compared to what we expected. Could anyone l ook over the estimate and give us some feedback on it? Thank you. Here's th e quote: Roofing - Member Discount Removal of all existing roofing and flas hing membranes. Replacement of following flashing materials: step flashing, collars, pipe jacks, perimeter drip edge material. All materials to meet o r exceed manufacturer's requirements. Installation of Ice/Watershield Membr ane along bottom perimeter of roof and in valley portions of roof.? Installation of one layer of TARCO 30# asphalt saturated roofing underlayme nt on deck surface not covered with ice and water protection material. Inst allation of new GAF Timberline Lifetime HD Architectural Shingles will be i nstalled in strict accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and sh all be fastened using five nails per shingle. Installation of 5-1/2 inch al uminum drip edge along entire outside perimeter of roof.? Installat ion of GAF Seal-A-Ridge Cap shingles along all hips and ridges. Installatio n of 12"x4' GAF Cobra ridge vent in areas requiring proper attic ventilatio n.?Removal of all debris and general clean-up of construction site once substantially completed. *Roof to be installed in strict accordance wi th manufacturer's specifications; 5 Year Warranty on labor to be provided u pon substantial completion. Angie's List Member Discount 3,600.00 -5.00% *A deposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substanti al completion. $3,420.00

I wonder if he meant the house was 2100 square feet, and being 2 stories t he actual roof area would be about 1/2 x 2100 sq feet, plus allowing for wh atever slope would increase the actual area it would still come in around 1

500 square feet. The price he was quoted is about what I might expect for 1500 sq feet.

Yes sorry ,the house is about 2100 sq feet and the roof is about half of th at I think.

Reply to
Saif Raza

s who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the estimates are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

ere were for work being done and when I went over to ask about them, he tol d me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his job sites and shown me tw o roofs that he was working on over the weekend in the neighborhood and is offering $3600 for Atlas Pinnacle Architect Shingles instead of the GAF Tim berline HD shingles everyone else was offering.

e two shingles and I think I'm going to choose him since he's a neighbor an d was working on roofs a few houses down. Its reassuring to see that other neighbors are using him as well.

em to think it's a crapshoot from Angie's List, so I think I'm not too worr ied about that. His company is J&S Carpentry and his BBB ratings don't show any complaints.

rranty, Scotch, 30lb Asphalt Felt, White Aluminum Drip Edge, Lomanco Shingl e over Ventardige, Reflash Chimney, Remove all trash and debris.Any rotten plywood found after old shingles are removed and will be an additional char ge of $25 per sheet. - $3600"

Some points:

Similar architectural shingles are about the same price. If you find a style or color you like better in GAF, there shouldn't be a reason that he won't use that shingle. The supply houses typically carry most of them, you just walk up to the counter and tell them which ones you want.

I would find out what kind of sheathing he's planning on using. AT that price, it can't be CDX plywood, which is what it should be. It's almost certainly OSB, which I would not use for a roof. CDX is about $20 a sheet. Even if it's OSB, it's unbelievable that a roofer would rip out a bad piece and replace it with a new one for just $25. Here, NJ it's $50, which seems a reasonable price. IDK how these guys stay in business.

I don't know what Lomanco shingle over Ventaridge means. I would think he would be using matching cap shingles from the shingle manufacturer or cutting their regular shingles. Also, googled Ventaridge and didn't find much. If it were my house, I would spec Shingle Vent II, GAF/OC rigid style. It is a rigid one, which is goob, but if it were my house, I'd want one that is widely used and known not to have problems.

Is ice dam required by code at the eaves? Since the lowball guy you started had it in his quote, I would bet it is. It's required in areas where ice dams can occur, definitely here in NJ, don't know about VA. No ice dam material in his quote and that stuff adds to the cost. A call to the building dept will answer that. And if they say it's required, that tells you something about your new guy.

Permit required? Who pays?

Reflash roof plumbing vents?

How much down, payment schedule?

Reply to
trader4

[...]

Agreed, the neighbor's quote is too short and doesn't discuss many things t hat were in the originally quoted quote.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Just go with the neighbor. If you want a specific shingle, different venting, or more detail in the contract, just ask about it. It'a a good bet he knows more about it than anybody here. You might pay more for selecting materials, because there's ways contractors can work materials to their advantage - and yours. A saved extra bundle here and there can be sold twice. He might have a square or two of left over Atlas in a shed. Nothing wrong with that, and it might be considered a way to keep bids low and prices down. You know where he lives, and he knows you know. Neighborly.

Reply to
Vic Smith

My experience has been that it is better to go with someone that you don't know or are friends with. Entering into professional contracts with friends can easily lead to fallout if something goes wrong with the job.

Reply to
badgolferman

I know what you're saying, but I see "neighborly" and "friend" as 2 different things. Why I'd go with this neighbor is he took the OP to his work sites, and he seems on the up and up. That die has been cast. To go with somebody else when he got a good bid price won't help the neighborly relationship. Might not hurt it either, or it won't matter either way. Just what I'd do. Overall, it's good to have connections in the trades, as long as you keep your eyes open. It's been my experience that a stranger is more likely to screw you than somebody you have a "relationship" with. And it's a 2-way street with "friends". Some contractors don't want to do work for a friend when they know the "friend" has a beef with everything. In the end it's a simple and relatively inexpensive re-roofing job that has very little to "go wrong" so it's not a big deal.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I tend to agree. And, since you have other written bids, if there are things in those other bids that you want to be sure about in the bid from your neighbor (such as ice shield), just show him and ask him about including those items or whatever.

Also, about the actual shingles. . . , my inclination would be to go with the more common brand (GAF Timberline) since there may be a better chance of you being able to get replacement shingles of the same style and color in the future if you suffer wind damage from a storm etc.

You can ask him to provide all of the same stuff you would want from any other contractor such as proof of insurance faxed directly to you from his insurance carrier, getting the permit, etc. And, as always, I wouldn't pay anything up front for a job like this that will only take a day or two to do.

Reply to
TomR