Roof: Don't fix what's not broken?

Ranch house, 1200 sq feet. Attic's loaded with pink batts. Roof's got 4 vents evenly spaced across the back of the house. No ice damming, not even a hint of it. In summer, even if it's 90+ outside, the AC runs maybe two hours while the sun's up, probably due (I assume) to three trees that provide shade in exactly the right places between sunrise & sunset.

Three roofers are suggesting a ridge vent and soffit vents. I'd rather conserve funds at the moment. Even though these accessories don't add a lot to the price, whattya think about leaving well enough alone?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

more venting is always better, in cold winter temps it minimizes condensation in and on the pink fiberglass batts, in the summer it helps keep things cooler which leads to much longer roof life. plus these are cheap additions.

how much extra for the added venting?

Reply to
hallerb

Depending on which roofer, $350-$400 on top of an average estimate of $5000 (for just a tear-off and top of the line shingles). All estimates also include a vent specific to the bathroom fan. Previous owner did a cob job, attaching the duct to the inside of a normal vent.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Upstate NY. Winter: 68 while awake, 62-64 at night. Summer: 72-75 daytime, rarely used at night, AC only used if the temp's over 78-ish. Due to nice prevailing breezes, I never seem to need it below that temp.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I should have said that I can't answer your qustions, but I thought that info would help other people. ;~)

Reply to
mm

I don't know about the shingles. I've been here two years, and the previous owner was here for four years, so they predate both of us. They're the #2 layer. House was built in 1956.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom