roof decking

Ok, So I'm in my attic last night, checking to make sure that the fiber=glass patching material I drenched the roof with is keeping water out, and I occurs to me as I'm considering taking the skip sheathing out and replacing it with a plywood deck,(in the spring) that it looks a bit odd.
It turns out that my rafters are spaced 5 every 12', which works out to around 28 3/4" apart. Standard 4x8 plywood isn't going to work out anywhere, and I'm not especially eager to be paying extra in order to fight with 10' plywood trimmed to 115"...
The two least gruesome solutions I can think of are to either just add in extra rafters at the 8' marks once I get the roof off, or abandon plywood and re-do to the roof with planks.
(I would *LIKE* to go with slate, but I don't expect to be able to afford that, even though that avoids the cost of re-decking.)
Am I missing any obvious approaches? Un-obvious approaches? And is there any reason other than price to prefer plywood over a planked roof?
--Goedjn