Roof conversion

I have a small ranch with a pitched roof. I want to change it to a gambrel roof so I can put a couple rooms upstairs. Do I have to have it ripped entirely off and a new gambrel roof put on or can they just raise the existing roof angle and put the peak of the gambrel top on it. What's a good cost estimate for this?
--
Van Chocstraw

You will have to file plans and get permits for your project, so ask those questions of your designer/architect. The specs will probably call for tear of and replacement with gambrel trusses. Price those at your home despot to get an inkling of dost. The common spacing is one truss every two feet. Add 20% or so to the price for custom sizes of trusses. HTH
Joe
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:02:06 -0500, Van Chocstraw

Depends on how it was built - most likely trusses - which means tear them off and rebuild (with new trusses?)