Roof Coating - ALUM or ELASTOMERIC?

I have to recoat a section of a flat roof - now it is asphalt cement.
I was looking at some of the new elastomeric coating that claims it can stretch 300% and will not crack or leak even with joint movement and the Miami hot sun and high humidity. I also see something called aluminum coating - it's mixed with aluminum fiber and the finished coat is silver in color?
Any experience which one may be better?
Now the question is, if elastomeric coating is as good as advertised, why would anyone still buy the old ashphalt cement bad smelling tar like coating?
Thansks,
MC
Maybe the coating you are looking at comes in white? I put a few coats on our's. Mobile home in NJ. White is supposed to be cooler and draws heat less than black. Got in 5 gal pails at HD.
--

BetsyB