Romex wire hookup

Not enough information. Is this a main?
Phisherman wrote:

vertically down both sides of the box. There are BOTH white and bare wire's hooked to EACH bar. Hence, my confusion.
Ed Mc wrote:

Since it is a main and not a subpanel, that is correct -- both white and bare wires can be (and usually are) connected to each bar.
RBM wrote above saying the same thing:
"If it is the main service panel, the neutrals and grounds go on the same buss. If it is a sub-panel, there will be separate neutral bars and equipment ground bars."
And, Nate Nagel wrote that that is correct. Others probably did too, but I'd have to go back and read all the messages again to check.
But, again, what you wrote ("There are BOTH white and bare wire's hooked to EACH bar") is correct for a main panel.
et.tnT

Depends where in the world he is. In Canada, there are 2 busses - one ground (for bare wire) and one neutral (for white wire) - bonded for main panel and not bonded for sub. - and code requires the neutral and the safety ground to be installed on their correct Buss.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

I'm virtually positive that's what US NEC says, too...
Even if not, it is, imo, poor practice to mix the two.

RBM wrote: ...

Any I've seen in the recent past have two. The service-only panels have the neutral buss also grounded to the cabinet but still have two busbars.
Even my ancient FPE stuff was built that way...

There are a number of manufacturers, each makes a pile of panel styles, with a multitude of neutral/ground buss arrangements. In the US , regardless of the buss arrangements, if they are attached together, attached to the service neutral, and the grounding electrode system, you can attach both neutrals and grounds to them. There are some panels made, which Bud made reference to, that have an equipment grounding "only" buss. This buss is attached to the frame of the panel only, and not to the service neutral conductor except via the steel of the cabinet. It may be that in Canada, this type of arrangement is what's required by code

dpb wrote:

If it does say that, it's a new addition since the installation of the panel in my house (and/or whoever did it didn't do it to code - but I would ASSume that one would have pulled a permit for a panel replacement...)
I agree that it seems like a good idea, I just haven't seen it done.
I believe there's something in there about not putting more than one neutral wire under a single screw, though? You can have more than one ground under a screw, just no more than the connection is rated for (e.g. it might be 3x 14AWG, 2x12AWG etc.) but only one neutral. I assume this is to remove the possibility of opening a neutral on an energized circuit while trying to service a different circuit.
Yes, I am in the YooEss. Not an electrician, but pretty handy. I do try to "do things right" but don't pretend to know everything about code.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel