Romex through Cinder block

My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?
Thanks
On 12/25/2015 5:02 PM, Meanie wrote:

That's what I would do and seal it with silicone caulk.

Or better yet, the normal "dum-dum"or "Duxseal"

Without seeing it, this all sounds fine, as long as you mount proper electrical boxes for the lights. I agree to seal it with silicone, which will keep bugs from getting into the boxes (and maybe mice too).
Romex should be stapled, so I'd take it straight to a wooden rafter, or you can attach a strip of wood on the wall to fasten the wire. Or just run it thru conduit where it crosses the block wall, until you get to wood.
If you run it thru metal conduit, be sure to deburr the ends.
On 12/26/2015 4:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I've opted to use conduit and help protect the romex.
On 12/26/2015 7:20 AM, Meanie wrote: ...

Whether actually req'd or not, it just looks so much better...my understanding was that "exposed" in unfinished space meant still thru wall, not on the wall surface directly exposed. But, I don't have new NEC at hand (2011+?) w/ the Art 334(?by recollection) and clear definitions to refer to directly...

The current cycle is 2014 but there are plenty of places still on the 11 or even 08 or earlier. The thing that is consistent is that "Exposed to physical damage" is ambiguous and "extreme damage" is even more ambiguous in the code. A lot is left to local interpretation and custom. That is particularly true about Romex in utility spaces in a dwelling. Where I was in Maryland, above 4' it could just be stapled to running boards. In Florida they want some kind of raceway but Smurf will do in most places. Other places want EMT. The wild cards are MC/AC cable and Smurf. The perception is they are tougher than Romex but the NEC rules are the same in reference to physical damage.
On 12/26/2015 9:46 AM, dpb wrote:

Agreed. It'll be much more aesthetically pleasing.
On 12/25/2015 3:02 PM, Meanie wrote:

So, *no* Jbox on which to hang the fixture? How do you plan on connecting (wiring) the fixture to the ROMEX conductors? Where do you expect the service loop to be stored -- tucked inside the block wall??

What's on the *inside* of the block wall? Will you just have a piece of ROMEX poking out a hole, draped along the wall/through the ceiling to the loadcenter?

Define "best". :> Do you care about Code or just want to get the lights lit? :<
Here, I install boxes *in* the block so there is a place for the wires to terminate *and* for the fixture to attach. Just like you'd encounter *in* an interior wall...
On 12/25/2015 5:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

The fixture is it's own junction box and mounted on a bracket already screwed onto the cinder block exterior. The wires will be connected in it.

Pretty much that. It'll exit the hole on the inside and run to the panel. No junction box is required per code.

The method I'm following is within code.

No need. See above for mounting info.

On 12/25/2015 4:53 PM, Meanie wrote:

I'm pretty sure Code doesn't allow unprotected Romex along the exposed wall inside the garage area. Whether it did or not, just me, I'd run it in conduit if no place else to hide it "just because"

On 12/25/2015 7:57 PM, dpb wrote:

According to an electrician, it isn't code, BUT, after more thought, I agree with you and can't see how it wouldn't be code since the exposed romex could be penetrated along it's run. Thus, the conduit will protect it. I will run conduit to be safe.
Thanks

It is legal to fish romex directly through the cores of concrete block. The issue is when it comes out. Exposed sections need to be protected from damage