romex short

Hello
My GFCI outlet has shorted out. I removed the hot black wire from the outlet and I removed it from the circuit breaker in the main supply. I did a continuity test on that wire and it failed.
Is there anything else that can be done, prior to ripping the house apart?
thanks
Mike
mike wrote:

Probably not a short. More likely there is a splice hidden somewhere (in a box) which has opened. Are any other recepts dead with that Blk wire unhooked from the breaker?
Jim
On 4 Dec 2003 14:01:05 -0800, mike wrote:

Start checking other outlets. Remove the outlets, check for bad connections, burnt areas etc. While you are at it if the outlets are wired using the backstab connections on the back, remove them and pigtail the connections finally connecting the wire to the outlet using the screw terminals on the sides.If your outlets are pigtailed check under each wirenut.Make sure that the wires are twisted toghther before wire nutting.Frequently the wires are just held together before wire nutting it is not uncommon for a hot spot to form on the wires which eventually breaks continuity in the wire. Don't assume that the gfci outlet is the 1st outlet in that circuit.
Lou
Short: Two or more electrical things which are connected together but ought not to be.
Example: The lamp cord touched the metal floor, and the short tripped the breaker.
Open: Electrical connection which should have been connected, but which was not.
Example: The black wire in my wall isn't delivering power to the box. Must have an open some where.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus