Rolling Tool box

I've been using an old Kennedy fishign tackle box for my locksmith work. But, it's kinda heavy. I've been getting more business at the malls. Have to park outside, and walk past ten or so stores, to get to the job.

So I made a six or seven pound "jump kit" basic hand tools, and that does most of what I need for jobs in shopping malls. Most of the time I can wrap up the job. Sometimes have to go back out for more tools.

Friend of mine I know through email, has a rolling tool box from Stanley, carries locks, tools, drill, and so on.

You had any experience with rolling tool boxes? Worth the trouble?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pelican 1510 case, can get in white at Fry's, lifetime warranty, looks classy, pretty well indestructible.

Reply to
Pete C.

Of the few I've seen, the wheels are nothing more than mediocre plastic and eaten up by the rough asphalt. Mebbe replacing the plastic wheels with steel they'll last longer.

Reply to
PanHandler

Oh, also order the photo lid organizer add on, it's really useful.

Reply to
Pete C.

At a recent trade show I noticed many of the union guys using roll-arounds. The most common was an ordinary tool box strapped to a fold-up (high-quality) dolly. I suspect the wheeled tool-boxes had inferior wheels.

Reply to
HeyBub

Stormin Mormon wrote: ...

For power plants, far heavier/bulkier than I'd envision you have, I took one of the Jensen traveling toolcases and a small hand cart and made a bolt-thru fixture to attach the box to the cart using a j-hook bolt fastened from the inside of the case so it couldn't be easily removed. It would survive anything and be carted up/down metal stairs, etc., in the plants w/ impunity.

For travel, still could ship it by removing the cart and going back to the detachable 2" casters.

Depending on what you want to spend, Jensen and several others have many to choose from.

I've seen a decent-quality rolling luggage carrier pressed into service by one of the travel-to-your-house PC techno-nerd'ettes locally. Works pretty well for that but isn't particularly rugged.

Reply to
dpb

We did a lot of work on cash registers in the mall and a tube frame hand truck seemed to be the best choice. The Mighty Mite was the one we usually used. It has a wider wheel base than the usual luggage cart but still folds up pretty small. With this you can carry your regular tools and strap on whatever parts or test equipment you might need

Reply to
gfretwell

Many of them have polyurethane wheels, which are probably fine once on the mall floors. I doubt they'd take much mileage on asphalt or rough finish concrete.

Reply to
PanHandler