Roller shade I do not want it to lock

When I pull down on a roller shade by giving it a tug it will lock in place . For a project I am involved in I do not want it to lock. I want the sprin g tension all the time.Is there a way to convert a standard roller blind to operate this way or are there blinds I can purchase that do this? If so wh at are they called so I can search them? Thank you ahead of time.

If it didn't lock it would be in the fully-rolled-up position all on the roller with nothing hanging to grasp to pull on as soon as you let 'er go...unless, of course you have a tension device on it continuously.
Might want to look at the stringless blinds that stay in any position where left if not the above.
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:39:59 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ing tension all the time.Is there a way to convert a standard roller blind to operate this way or are there blinds I can purchase that do this? If so what are they called so I can search them? Thank you ahead of time.
If you look at one end of the shade, there is a little spring-driven pawl t hat centrifigual(sp?) force pushes out to lock the spring shade. Just remo ve that pawl, be careful because that releases the spring. Then, you will have to rewind the spring to get the shade to roll up.
On 11/14/2013 10:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Could also try disabling it with something like epoxy.

> spring tension all the time.Is there a way to convert a standard >roller blind to operate this way or are there blinds I can purchase that do

I actually needed the same thing some years ago. I was experimenting with a solar activated motor that would pull down the shade at night and then let it back up in the morning. This was simply a "fun project" and nothing that was to remain permanent thus it was a short lived project but it did work. If I remember correctly I simply took the end off the shade and removed or filed down a catch mechanism...been too long ago to be sure but it can definitely be done.
Don
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:39:59 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ing tension all the time.Is there a way to convert a standard roller blind to operate this way or are there blinds I can purchase that do this? If so what are they called so I can search them? Thank you ahead of time.
Thanks everyone.
I want to be able to pull the blinds down and hook them to the frame I have them on. Then I want to unhook the blind and have it roll up on its own. I just want the locking mechanism gone. No locking unless I latch it myself with the hook I will attach to the blind end. I hope that makes sense. I have read I can break off a piece on the end but which one

Most shades will have one that is just round where it goes into the holder, and the other end will be flat so it will lock in place. That is the end you want to look at. There is what looks like a gear that has an arm pressing against it to lock the shade in place. That arm is what you want to remove if you can.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:42:02 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

He could just glue it in place. Ambroid cement will work and stick well but be easy to break off with a screwdriver when desired. Available only in hobby and model stores.
Epoxy glues will work too, stronger, but they can be broken too probably when he's done wtith this project.

If you "have it roll up on its own" how will you prevent it from rolling up to fast/too far?
Have you ever let a fully extended shade roll up on it's own? In my experience, it's not pretty.
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:26:43 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I just want the locking mechanism gone. No locking unless I latch it mysel f with the hook I will attach to the blind end. I hope that makes sense.
The blind will need to be hooked in BOTH the up and down positions because the catch serves both purposes.
Otherwise, the shade will roll up and go THWIP-THWIP-THWIP until the spring unwinds, like in an old Three Stooges movie.

All you have to do is buy a shade, take it out of the package, and LOOK. It will be obvious.
Very good point. Thanks

Ummm...What's a very good point?
Snipping irrelevant verbiage from a post is a good practice, but you gotta leave us a little something so we can understand the context of your response.
Can you explain that?

I did...and then I snipped it.
On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 05:08:59 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Oh yeah. I probably read the preceding post on the preceding day, even though they were only an hour apart.