roller brushes for painting

I'm looking at the rollers available to paint with and I'm curious about what is needed.

Some of them advertise, 3/8" nap, 3/16" nap, smooth surface, semi-smooth surface, drywall.

What is needed for painting a minimally textured wall with semi-gloss? Just a 3/16" nap smooth surface roller brush or are there a ton of other variable to take into consideration?

Reply to
Eigenvector

What does "minimally textured" mean? Is it really semi-gloss? Because that's not usually used on walls - usually satin or eggshell.

Reply to
jeffc

I use a 3/8" nap roller cover for general painting of drywall with "normal" textures such as orange peel and the like. I use a 3/16" nap when multiple thin coats on a smooth surface is needed. a 1/2" nap for rought surfaces that take a lot of paint.

Reply to
marson

Thank you. So basically the larger the nap the rougher the surface. That sounds right, I just wasn't sure if I was over-analyzing it.

Is there danger of overloading on paint or getting a crummy finish if you use too much nap on the roller?

Reply to
Eigenvector